Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th June 2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Cerjak

Default EARLY 17 TH SOLIGEN SMALL SWORD FOR COMMENT

Hi everybody ,

I would like to have opinion's of members about this small sword.
I wondering if it could be early 17 TH century or 16 TH.
Any comment on it will be welcome.

Cerjak
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 12:51 AM   #2
Fernando K

Hello:

Obviously, the inscription reads: MEFECIT - SOLINGEN and cross punch by imitating the mark is seen in the guns (barrel) Spanish

Affectionately. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 03:58 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I wouldn't call that cross/anchor mark an imitation.
Certainly this is a composition. Shortened blade ... from a katsbalger ?
The grip wiring looks fine, with those turks heads. Maybe the pommel and crossguard are not the real thing .
Could you improve the picture of that mark in the forte ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Cerjak

Hi Fernando

This is a close picture from the mark
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 12:15 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Maybe through that image some member could ID this blade ...
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I have not yet found a match for the stamped mark at the forte, but in Wagner ("Cut and Thrust Weapons", plates 2,3, pp.182,83) there are interesting sword examples which offer certain similarities I think pertinant to assessment of this example.

In #1, plate 2, the hilt with alternating curve (s shape) quillons is shown as a mid 16th century form with Swiss attribution suggested. The deeply channeled forte is remarkably like those on this example, and the 'makers' stamp in the same location in the center channel at the forte.

The blade in Wagner is however channeled in the same manner, and the lettered SOLINGEN stamped in two of the four blade channels, above and below in the same manner as the ME FECIT SOLINGEN on this example.
The serifed font seems similar and it is noted that the ME FECIT combination is contemporary to the period suggested. The quadrant placed crosses which appear to encapsulate the words ME FECIT and Solingen, are also consistant with the style of the period with names, phrases and mottos. The 'anchor' typically is considered to have key nuances with crosses and Christian imbuement in amuletic properties on blades.

The crosses and 'anchor' style device is also consistant with German blades of the period using Spanish names, marks and other features, as seen in the ENRIQUE COEL sword in plate 3 (1590-1610). On that sword the rather plain quillons without notable terminals are apparant, and the pommel type, turks heads and wire wrap seem consistant with Continental swords of the 17th century through.
The stamped mark en cartouche seems to be a crowned M(?) similar to and similar to those on Spanish and Italian blades. There was significant crossover and spurious use of these marks between both and further complicated by the use of these by German smiths.

Similar swords to this with the simple crossguard configuration are seen in Wallace collection and in cases with earlier blade, identified as German around 1600. This is not to say these are matching, but that these kinds of simpler hilt arming swords were present with less developed hilt forms, and suggesting likely 'recycling' armaments to servicability as required.

I would say this blade is plausibly mid to later 16th, and as suggested likely from an arming sword from Landsknecht context. It seems also likely that the blade may have been shortened as the sword was refurbished, probably in the 17th century.
While I would defer of course to Jasper for elaboration of Fernandos well placed suggestion, these are my own observations on this very outstanding example.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote