Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th June 2011, 08:37 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default Islamic Axe for I D and Comment

Another interesting axe for comment and identification. After the unreached conclusion of the two axes recently posted by Atlantia, I am interested to see what the Members think about this one.
Some dimensions : Haft length 21 3/4" (555mm)
Blade width at cutting edge 2 1/8" (55mm)
Blade front to back 9 1/8" (232mm)
The haft appears to be a hardwood wrapped with brass and copper wire which is very neatly done. Additional decoration of brass domed nails. There is a brass chain attached between the blade and the haft.
The Cartouche in Arabic, which I have had translated reads:
HASSAN SAAD
BEN AHMED HASSAN
AKACHE AL
1307 (1889AD)
The Cartouche IS NOT a coin. The one sided bevel edge is not knurled, and the reverse is completely plain.
Could the wording AKACHE AL be AKACHE AL(geria)? There is a town/city in Algeria named Douar Akache.
What do you think?
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 09:51 AM   #2
A.alnakkas

Hey Stu,

Not much I can add but this look very similar to one on Gav's website. I find the form very interesting and reminescent of the Omani axe.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 04:52 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IT LOOKS GOOD TO ME, CONGRADULATIONS THE PATINA IS GOOD AND NOTHING NEW HAS BEEN RECENTLY ADDED, THE WORKMANSHIP AND MATERIALS ARE GOOD THROUGH- OUT. LOOKS LIKE A GOOD OLD PRESTIEGE ITEM NO DOUBT A TREASURED OBJECT TO ITS ORIGINAL OWNER. HOPEFULLY A MEMBER WITH MORE KNOWLEGE CAN SUPPLY MORE INFORMATION AS TO TRIBE AND ORIGIN. GOOD LUCK!
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While African axes are not something I am overly familiar with, I am inclined to agree this is likely something Omani, and distinctly linked to the kinds of axes used by Bantu slavers mid 19th century both utilitarian and as weapons.
The wood seems similar to the axe which appears on Gavs site as noted, in which case the poll of the head extends through the haft.

The appears an embellished example, and the chain attached to the haft and linked to the aperture in the poll recall the chainguards on many Hadhramauti sa'ifs which would have been well known to Omani merchants in traffic to Zanzibar. The connections between the Bantu and Omani merchants in the slaving commerce is of course well established in these times.

This is plausibly the axe of a merchant of either Zanzibar or East Africa and likely an individual of status and clearly Muslim. The accoutrements of the Omani merchants were it would seem often well decorated and fashionable and this would have been a most attractively worn item.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
This is plausibly the axe of a merchant of either Zanzibar or East Africa and likely an individual of status and clearly Muslim. The accoutrements of the Omani merchants were it would seem often well decorated and fashionable and this would have been a most attractively worn item.
Hi Stu
I just discovered that hypothesis,
that reaches completely what I suspected
I think that should be a good track
all the best

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 12:21 AM   #6
Atlantia

Well Stu,
you had faith in this from the start.
My twin theories of Ottoman coin or copy of, and North Afrcian axe bite the dust!

LOL, well done mate. A good addition to the Arabian museum

Best Humble pie,
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 05:50 PM   #7
colin henshaw

Hi

An interesting African axe and good discussions on its potential origins etc. I would just like to add a few further points for conjecture :-

The axe is a recognised type from Tanzania and down into Mozambique, made by Africans. They were often "badges of office" used by headmen or important personages and carried on the shoulder. The trade brass and copper wire, and brass upholstery nails, were common African adornment used on weapons.

As noted, this area of Eastern Africa was extensively penetrated in the 19th century by Arabs of Omani origin (also Swahili and Baluchi) slavers and ivory traders. They established an extensive network of transportation, settlements etc. Also alliances with African tribal leaders. The brass medallion with the Arabic inscriptions could well have been given to an African ally in their slaving/ivory trade, either as a gift for adornment or a "membership card" in their joint enterprise. Probably the trader kept a stock of these medallions for distribution as felt appropriate. I think it unlikely the axe was the property of an Arab in Zanzibar.

A couple of useful references on this topic are :-

"Armies of the Nineteenth Century : East Africa" by Chris Peers 2003
"African Axes" by Carl Gosta Widstrand

Regards
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi

An interesting African axe and good discussions on its potential origins etc. I would just like to add a few further points for conjecture :-

The axe is a recognised type from Tanzania and down into Mozambique, made by Africans. They were often "badges of office" used by headmen or important personages and carried on the shoulder. The trade brass and copper wire, and brass upholstery nails, were common African adornment used on weapons.

As noted, this area of Eastern Africa was extensively penetrated in the 19th century by Arabs of Omani origin (also Swahili and Baluchi) slavers and ivory traders. They established an extensive network of transportation, settlements etc. Also alliances with African tribal leaders. The brass medallion with the Arabic inscriptions could well have been given to an African ally in their slaving/ivory trade, either as a gift for adornment or a "membership card" in their joint enterprise. Probably the trader kept a stock of these medallions for distribution as felt appropriate. I think it unlikely the axe was the property of an Arab in Zanzibar.

A couple of useful references on this topic are :-

"Armies of the Nineteenth Century : East Africa" by Chris Peers 2003
"African Axes" by Carl Gosta Widstrand

Regards

Hi Colin,

Could you recommend any other good in-print resources for axes/spears
please?

Thanks
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
his area of Eastern Africa was extensively penetrated in the 19th century by Arabs of Omani origin (also Swahili and Baluchi) slavers and ivory traders.
to the "Gang"
I am surprised that nobody mentions that for a long Zanzibar attracted the greed of merchants Persian, Arabic, Portuguese and British, for its spices;
- clove (whose smuggle collection was convict by death penalty)
- nutmeg
- cinnamon
- ginger
- cardamom

be side to the slaves trade, the Omanis were great traders of spices, and the production of Zanzibar was in addition and in complement of their supplies coming from India
in 18th 19th century, spices was having value as well as it was ... gold,
that explained the Omanis's interest for the 25–50 kilometres (16–31 mi) off the coast of the mainland, and consists of numerous small islands and two large ones: Unguja (the main island, informally referred to as Zanzibar), and Pemba

few references to dates
Zanzibar became a part of the Sultanate of Oman, though as a trade center, it began as an Omani trade station, or outpost, controlled by Omanis in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Britain established a protectorate (1890)

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Gentlemen, thank you for reiterating these points as mentioned previously in various points of the discussion, and reinforcing the classification of this axe as East African, with possible association to the slave trade commerce.

While the medallion clearly is likely to have been as noted, received in any number of circumstances in these trade routes, it seems likely to be applied as a symbol of wealth or status much as previously noted. The copper wire and brass studs are also adornments used to embellish accordingly and though the wire wrap is well known on the hilts of Arab, Persian and Indian sabres in degree it is unclear if its use through many instances tribally can be connected.

Can anyone think of other instances of decorative chain on these types of axes in Africa? As I mentioned, this is an affectation well known on many sa'if from the Hadhramaut regions and Yemen, which compellingly suggests that it would have been known with trade headed to Zanzibar. From there, again as previously noted, the Omani trade routes into the interior may haved carried the feature into tribal contact in these interactions.

While trade routes moved westerly into Tanzania and Ujiji, the Red Sea trade carried influences reciprocally from Arabia into Ethiopian regions as well. It is interesting to note that many Abyssinian shotel had Maria Theresa thalers hammered into their pommels. Perhaps the use of this medallion was used in the same sense as indication of wealth or power on this axe, and whether a coin or medallion would have been irrelevant, only its appearance.

I would say again here, the repeated reference to Zanzibar here is simply to establish context for the slave trade caravans, which seem likely pertinant to the appearance of certain elements of decoration on this otherwise distinctly African axe form. As far as I can determine there is no suggestion that the axe is Omani, nor from Zanzibar.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Tim Simmons

Much further west. Islamic influence city. From "Waffen aus Zentral-Afrika"
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 09:00 PM   #12
kahnjar1

Can anyone think of other instances of decorative chain on these types of axes in Africa? As I mentioned, this is an affectation well known on many sa'if from the Hadhramaut regions and Yemen, which compellingly suggests that it would have been known with trade headed to Zanzibar. From there, again as previously noted, the Omani trade routes into the interior may haved carried the feature into tribal contact in these interactions.

Hi Jim and thanks so much for your forward thinking comments.
There is another axe of similar shape on a certain auction site, (still live, so I can't post a pic). This axe also has a chain attaching ring on the pole, but no chain. Otherwise it is plain apart from what looks like a wrap of silver? on the haft. So it would appear that my axe is not alone in having (at least) an anchor for a chain.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote