Default Higher education pays off!

Johns Hopkins student kills apparent burglar with sword
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Suspect died at scene; he had severed left hand and lacerations to upper body
Students confronted man in their garage, police say
He lunged at students, and one defended himself with samurai sword
updated 12:47 p.m. EDT, Tue September 15, 2009
Next Article in Crime »

(CNN) -- A Johns Hopkins University student killed an apparent burglar with a samurai sword after discovering the man in his garage, police said Tuesday.

Baltimore, Maryland, police received a phone call shortly before 1:30 a.m. Tuesday about a suspicious person, and an off-duty officer arrived at the scene with campus security, city police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

When authorities arrived, they heard calls for help and for police, he said. They discovered a suspected burglar with a severed left hand and severe lacerations to his upper body, Guglielmi said.

The suspect died at the scene, he said.

The man had entered a home where several Johns Hopkins students lived, Guglielmi said. Four students, one armed with a samurai sword, had confronted the suspect in the garage.

The man "lunged" at the students, and the student with the sword defended himself, severing the man's left hand and cutting his upper body, Guglielmi said.

Police did not release the name of the suspect, who Guglielmi said had a long criminal history, or that of the student.

Police questioned the three witnesses, Guglielmi said, and released them. It was not immediately clear whether all four students lived at the house, he said.

Authorities are determining whether the student will face criminal charges, Guglielmi said.

Burglars had taken two laptops and a Sony PlayStation from the students' home Monday, Guglielmi said.

The burglary suspect had been released from prison S
Old 16th September 2009, 12:48 AM   #2
fearn

Yes, I guess he learned how to sharpen his sword well enough. Messy way to go, though, bleeding out.
Old 16th September 2009, 02:04 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Not worth a life; we digress .
Old 16th September 2009, 06:34 AM   #4
asomotif

I see nothing of the burglar being armed.

What is "lunged".

Here in the Netherlands I guess the student would be in severe problems facing several years for manslaughter. Which seems right to me.
Old 16th September 2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

How does this news item help in the study of ethnographic arms? It would seem this type of contextual sensationalism is exactly what weapons control factions are looking for, and encouraging more entries with these decidedly unfortunate media items is entirely counterproductive offering nothing to the study of weapons.

As far as the news is concerned, the 'Samurai' sword is now a deadly weapon, and can be used indiscriminately in foul play!

There simply must be better things to discuss on a forum intended for the study of weapons as historical material culture, not forensics evidence in the neverending media bloodbath that feeds on these kinds of events.

Im for changing course and returning to focus on historical weapons, and letting this discussion end.

Jim
Old 16th September 2009, 07:42 PM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

[QUOTE=asomotif]I see nothing of the burglar being armed.

What is "lunged".

Could have been grapping at the sword which was a poor choice somehow 4 male 20 yr olds one armed I would have ran away. I agree this is media hype at best.

Rick

If the student had a keris which jump from it's scabbard and chased the burglar than that would have been something to talk about

The burglar was a career criminal who had just been released from prison a fews days before this happened. Someone breaks into my home at 1am I will not ask if he is armed He just picked the wrong home to break into.

Rick We all collect swords,daggers,spears and clubs so if this were to happen to a forum member don't you think it could have been a similar outcome? One of the rare pitfalls of collecting and studying weapons I would think?

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 16th September 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 16th September 2009, 08:00 PM   #7
KuKulzA28

I might have done the same. Perhaps cause I am in the same age group. If I was holding a sword, and the guy knew he would die... and he still lunged... well, he is stupid. He should have expected the worst being a criminal. If I can defend myself, my property, and my hard earned possessions against someone who is a criminal, why shouldn't I? Just because some would consider it brutal does not take away from the statement's validity... cancer, drunk driver, cops, and thugs never cared for my friends' lives - why should I care about a burglar's?

If you had a weapon to defend yourself with, and the burglar lunged at you, would you drop it, and say, I don't wanna kill you, just take whatever? Crazy.

I understand though, why you guys would like discussion on this topic to end, and if the prevailing opinion is that it should be closed, so be it. I just feel that there is a lot of opinion against the sword-wielder - I can understand where he is coming from.

Anyone who's ever been in a similar situation especially at that age, would not want to back down and "bend over" so to speak.
Old 16th September 2009, 09:58 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

[QUOTE=LOUIEBLADES]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
Rick We all collect swords,daggers,spears and clubs so if this were to happen to a forum member don't you think it could have been a similar outcome? One of the rare pitfalls of collecting and studying weapons I would think?
Always remember these words:
" I was in fear for my life "
Closed Thread