Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st October 2007, 06:11 AM   #1
DaveA

Question Help Identify - Chinese execution sword?

Hello,

I recently acquired this sword in a lot, without identification other than perhaps it is Chinese and was used for execution. Seems short for that purpose, but it is very heavy and sharp. The blade is 21 inches long, 27 inches overall. Sharp on the convex side. A small "medallion" is affixed to the blade as shown in the pictures.

Any opinions? Small photos below (larger ones available). Thanks in advance for your help.

- David

DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 11:20 PM   #2
DaveA

Question Found Chinese Sabre-knife in Burton - is this it?

The resemblance there, but not the "hook", although my sword does resemble the nglala execution sword (consistent with Burton's comments, below).

"Book of the Sword", p.139 fig. 141

Quote:
The falchion of Ashanti, Dahome, and Benin, the murderous despotisms of western intertropical Africa, terminates in a whorl. This is also the shape of the Chinese Sabre-knife, with which criminals were dispatched...
Old 3rd October 2007, 03:04 AM   #3
RSWORD

Dave,

What you have is Chinese and appears to be a glaive or polearm blade that has been remounted like a sword. Hard to say if it was used specifically for executions. More likely it was put together at the turn of the 19th and 20th century for sale as an exotic trinket.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 05:13 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As Rsword suggests, this is an item probably put together during the Boxer Rebellion period, as forces of various legations there sought souveniers and exotica to recall this great adventure. Chinese martial artists used most dramatic looking weapons and theatrics to impress the foreign powers present as well as to intimidate and appear menacing. Sometimes gruesome executions did take place using such exaggerated weapons, but there was no prescribed weapon form for such events as far as I am aware.

In the Burton book, it seems in research some time ago I discovered that a number of the illustrations and referenced captions were actually in error, the whorled sword that Burton captioned as 'Chinese sabre knife' was actually a Dahomean hwi if I recall. In the list of sources in Burton's book he lists the reference "Illustrated History of Arms and Armour" by Auguste Demmin, London, 1877. With this he grumbles that "...the Oriental notices are deficient, and the translator has made them worse". Unfortunately, by using the 'Chinese sabre knife reference' from the Demmin book, he perpetuated the error.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 05:27 AM   #5
DaveA

Smile Thank you!

Thank you both for your insights and a bit of history lesson! That is exactly why I jumped into this hobby. Greatly appreciated.

- David
Old 3rd October 2007, 03:03 PM   #6
RSWORD

David

It is quite an enjoyable hobby and when that collecting bug hits you, watch out!
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote