Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th February 2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Old Bichwa Dagger

This arrived this week from Artzi's shop. A nice bichwa dagger with either a laminated blade or shear steel blade can't be sure though. The hilt is made of bronze and not brass as seen on most Indian daggers of this type. Let me know what you think.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 02:03 AM   #2
DhaDha

Thumbs up

Congrats. That is a stunning piece. Curious about the handle. How do you hold it? Your example (with the blade parallel to the hilt) seems to be held with the blade flat to the user's body. Almost like a parrying/stabbing weapon. Other examples, not unlike my new bichwa I just posted, seem to be held with edge facing the body. Hope this makes sense...
Shawn
DhaDha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 07:23 PM   #3
katana

I too, am intrigued as to how this dagger was held? Seems to be specifically designed to it's 'manner' of use or perhaps suited to an individual, possibly due to a physical problem/previous damage with the owners hand

Last edited by katana; 19th February 2007 at 09:41 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

Nice Bichwa Lew. I think it must have been held at the upper part of the hilt, and the lower part has been the hand protection. The thing which makes me wonder, are the 'eye lashes 'on a dagger blade, so far I have only seen them on sword blades. Any comments?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 09:39 PM   #5
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Nice Bichwa Lew. I think it must have been held at the upper part of the hilt, and the lower part has been the hand protection.
Jens, I think I would have to agree, but I feel that as there is little 'bulk' to that part of the handle....control of the blade would suffer ?
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 09:51 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Yes Katana, but I don't think the dagger was meant for use in war, I think it was for self protection. Besides, you did not answer my question about the 'eye lashes'.
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 04:03 AM   #7
DhaDha

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Jens, I think I would have to agree, but I feel that as there is little 'bulk' to that part of the handle....control of the blade would suffer ?
Funny, I thought it would be held by the lower part. Treating the upper as more of a knuckle duster. However, the lower might be too small. Hard for me to say having never held it. The one that I posted (and the only one I've ever held) I think is held in this manner. It actually feels great in the hand.
DhaDha is offline   Reply With Quote