Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd January 2007, 03:05 PM   #1
katana

Default Indo-Persian ? SEA? Pole arm head?

Hi,
please has anyone any infomation on this Pole arm head? The blade is 14" (36cms) long and approx. 2" (5cms) at its widest point. It is forged with sharp edges. The socket seems to be brass and is 6 1/2 " (16.5cms) long, the internal diameter is around 30 mm.

Quite likely cast around the base of the blade. I am informed by the seller that it is 17 C / 18 Century....certainly has age and evidence of 'many' sharpenings. The blade and socket appear much brighter than it actually is (flash).
Cannot ID origin, confirm age any help or comments would be appreciated, thankyou.
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Katana,
In Elgood’s book Hindu Arms and Ritual page 192 you can see pictures of lance/spear heads like the one you show – or almost like it. The socket is of brass and the blade of steel. So it could be south India or maybe Sri Lanka.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Katana,
Jens is 100% right, this appears to be a spear head from Sri Lanka.
In "Sinhala Weapons & Armour" by P.E.P. Deraniyagala (Journal of the Ceylon Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society", Part III, 1942, pp.117-118), similar is shown as a "...kuru Itale or kurukitale (elephant spear)" and apparantly the heads varied from 6" to as much as 48". These are described as having the median ridges raised into cutting edges which converge at the point of the spear. On the examples described there were apparantly straps downward to secure the head to the shaft (as seen on 19th century cavalry lances).
The brass, as Jens has noted also supports the southern India, Ceylon identification.

Your example is likely a ceremonial one from the 19th c. as the features are vestigial and the head lacks the securing straps that would be attached to the shaft. Apparantly the earlier forms actually had the median ridge expanded and sharpened and the downward projecting 'wings' at the base corresponded and were also sharpened.

Beautiful example! and stuff from Sri Lanka seems pretty hard to find these days.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 06:22 PM   #4
katana

Thanks Jens and Jim ,

interesting stuff..and very helpful (as usual).... ...Jim you mentioned the possibility that this could be ceremonial. I'm not so sure..... the blade is no longer 'symmetrical' because of repeated sharpening (more so on one side than the other) . Still reasonably sharp although there is no evidence of being 'honed' recently.
There is a hole in the socket where a 'rivet' or similar was possibly used to attach to the shaft.
The shaft, I presume would have been wood (teak ?) with a minimum diameter of approx. 30mm (1 1/5 ") but more likely was 41 mm (1 7/8") if 'level' with the 'bevelled' end of the socket. That would surely be a substantial 'heavyweight' shaft ?

The 'medial ridge' is 5/8" (15mm) 'thick' at the socket end which tapers (distally ?) to 3/16" (4.5 mm) just millimeters before the point.

Would these dimensions etc. still suggest ceremonial?

Has the 'inverted arrowhead motif' any significance ???

Ah ... one more thing....would 'elephant spear' mean a spear 'used' whilst on 'elephantback' or would it be used by a 'foot' soldier to 'take down' one of these magnificent animals.
Old 22nd January 2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Katana,
If that has been sharpened then you're right, it was probably 'live'. It seemed ceremonial only in the sense that the features had devolved essentially to less dramatic form. Terms expressed as 'elephant sword' 'gun' etc. are always confusing. I cannot imagine trying to kill an elephant with one of these, although the ribbed four blade shape seems much like 'armor piercing' weapons. I'm not sure on the significance of the winglike shape, and perspective on those features we can only speculate. There would probably be some pretty good suggestions found in "Hindu Arms and Ritual", as Jens has mentioned.

Good observation on the shaft size also, and that might support use for anti-elephant warfare. Maybe this was sort of a proto-bazooka? In any case, I think your descriptions probably revise the ceremonial suggestion. I'd like to find out more on the use of these weapons associated with elephants, as well as the ancus, which is a most mysterious implement/weapon.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 07:54 PM   #6
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I'd like to find out more on the use of these weapons associated with elephants, as well as the ancus, which is a most mysterious implement/weapon.

Best regards,
Jim
You and me ...both.

I'll see what I can 'dig up' and post it here The use of Elephants in ancient warfare is trully facinating....many were trained to use trunk, tusks and feet (probably not an accurate 'scientific' term...but you get the picture )to attack, maim and crush any 'foot' soldiers in their path Many had forms of armour and sometimes the tusks were removed and sword-like blades fitted in their place... . I would imagine, a 'foot' soldier armed with a hefty spear / pole arm would have little chance against a charging 'war' elephant....perhaps they had a tactic..whereby the elephant could be sucessfully attacked ...with less risk
Attached Images