Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd March 2008, 08:11 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Chinese Jian

Hmmm, what did I just buy? I have been looking for years for a genuine Vintage or Antique Chinese Jian with little success, well success for one that appeals to my eyes, there have been plenty pass me by without that certain Mystic.

I found this piece at you know where and after having many extra images sent to me I was convinced of it's age and uniqueness.

There are very few good visual references that I can find on Chinese swords, from what I have seen and know, this sword appears to be from Around the late 1800's to about 1920, has military fittings on the scabbard and on the swords hilt too, but as far the cross guard is concerned, from the images, it varies greatly in detail from all that I have seen on military style swords and appears chiselled and non-military. There is what appears to be the remains of a tassel that was the same material as the hilt bindings and another cloth around the top of the hilt too(maybe to keep blood from the hand's grip?).

As I have not yet received this item and don't expect to for another week or two, I cannot comment on the blade. I have seen these blade before, some state that they are as old as Ming others have but them later, I do not know.
The entire sword patina is even and true, the brass seven star inlay is blackened with age. The sword in sheath is 40inches. The scabbard fittings have at some stage been painted yellow but the even honest patina can be seen in both the paint and the brass fittings exposed under the paint.

I do welcome comments and also answers to some of the questions that have arisen from my viewing of the sword.

My questions would be from what period is this sword actually from and is the blade possibly older as seen in many other swords?
What is the significance of the yellow paint on the sheath fittings?
What is the significance of the unusual cross guard?

And please if anything does come to light from viewing this forum, please do share what you know and Bill or Josh, I welcome your views on this matter with great interest.

best regards

Gavin
Attached Images

Last edited by freebooter; 3rd March 2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 08:14 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default Further images of the Jian

More images for viewing.
Attached Images

Old 3rd March 2008, 05:08 PM   #3
josh stout

I think you have a very nice find, but there are a few issues and questions that will have to wait until you have it in hand. The Yazi guard is typical in form, but usually associated with more decorated fittings. Considering the somewhat crude finish on it, it may be a later replacement. I can't tell if the blade is truly pattern welded. That is the big question. The lines I see, make me suspicious, but I just bought one with a very similar look to the pattern and it was genuine. The blade does not appear to have been used after being joined with the fittings. Points that sharp are rare on antiques, but may indicate a sword kept in exceptionally good condition, or that the blade was reshaped. If it was reshaped I would guess it was done at the same time as it was put together with the fittings.

The yellow paint on the fittings is typical of period restorations, or may even be original. I have a jian and a dao where the blades and steel fittings were painted silver. Some nice early 20th C. Chinese blades were nickle plated over good steel. I have the feeling that paint was used in the same spirit, to make something nice and shiny and "modern" looking.

I recently bought a blade where I thought the stars were darkened like the ones shown, and they turned out to be missing. Brass does not usually get that dark especially when the steel is bright.

The fittings in general look very good with the rounded puffy look of originals. They seem like they would match an "ace of spades" guard better.

My guess is that this jian has been restored at least once in the very late Qing or early Republican period. The guard may be newer than that. If the blade is pattern welded, my guess is you have something very nice, and assuming the price was risk adjusted, I think you did very well. There is a chance that a non-pattern welded blade was used in the period restoration. That would be unfortunate.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Josh

Thanks Josh, I will wait in anticipation with fingers crossed.

regrads

Gav
Old 4th March 2008, 02:39 AM   #5
RSWORD

I agree with Josh on his overall assessment of the sword. Vintage jian of this length are quite hard to come by and this makes it a desirable piece. I suspect the blade is pattern welded because in some of the overall shots I can see evidence of a "hamon" which would indicate heat treated, hardened edges. The blade is too scratched up and covered in grease to see if there is a lamellar pattern to the body of the blade so hopefully after a light cleaning this will be more evident. However, an antique jian will have hard edges so I recommend testing this once you have it in hand. Other than the crude guard everything else looks late Qing. The chord grip shows some wear and the wood beneath shows a good patina. The cloth tassles are a bit tattered but show good age themselves. I have also seen the painted fittings and have an example in my collection that is also gold colored. Has a very village or provincial feel with rough lacquered or painted scabbards and painted fittings but then again that is a bit of character, eh. While not the prettiest card in the deck I think it had a long service life and certainly a user for personal defense in the late Qing period with a crude guard added at an unknown date. Overall, if the blade is indeed period-which I suspect- I think you did quite well.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 02:56 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Rick

Thanks Rick, I am glad you came on board with this one and your words are reassuring, it just can't get here quick enough now.
You must have good eyes because I cannot see the heat treating you are refering to on the edges but like you say it is covered in grease.
With regards to the crude guard, I have seen this image on a good many smaller straight swords and on those paired swords that sit back to back in a single sheath, are these that I refer too of the same period or are they fantasy swords for want of a better word?
Would you be kind enough to share your Chinese sword collection either here or in another thread as I would love to see them for a visual learning display and comparrison to what is available in the market place.

best regards

Gavin
Old 4th March 2008, 05:07 PM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default A little history

I have placed a copy of an article I read recently, it has nothing directly to do with this sword though it could well have been made in this region. I thought it might be of interest to those who love these swords so much.

Long Quan Master Swords is one of the oldest and most famous sword families in China. Master sword maker Oh Ye Ze founded it more than two thousand years ago when he came upon a place in Long Quan, where the Tai lake was located. Attracted by its pure waters and quiet surroundings, Oh Ye Ze settled down and forged three legendary swords for Emperor Xien. People later renamed the Tai lake to Jian Chi Lake roughly translated to be the pool of swords.

Many sword-making families now live in Long Quan, but the most famous among them is the Shen family. The Shen family's swords have been known to have the best quality and skill for hundreds of years. In the 1911 Long Quan Master Sword competition, a sword forged by the third generation of the Shen family stabbed through three solid brass blanks as well as split a sword from another maker in half, thus earning the title "King of Swords." The Shen family Long Quan Master Sword were praised as national treasure in China by the people of the highest social class. In 1942, a Long Quan Master Sword was made for the second president of the Republic of China by special request and in 1955, a special customized Long Quan Master Sword was made for General Mao Zhe Don.

Many awards were given to swords forged by the Shen family in various competitions. In the 1996 Chinese National Art Festival, Shen Zho's (fourth generation of the Shen's family) Zhi Zuen Sword won the gold medal. As testimony to the Shen family's accomplishments, the mayor of Long Quan awarded the family a plaque that said "Tan Xi De Ye Jian" or "The Number One Sword Under the Sky."

regards

Gavin