Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th January 2016, 02:33 PM   #1
dana_w

Default Perplexing Mark On Flintlock Holster Pistol

This Holster Pistol is almost 19 inches long. It weighs 2 lb and 12 3/4 oz. It has a cryptic mark on the lock that looks something like YZAGV (or YZACV...) that was stamped upside down. There is also a Crown over an S on the lock plate. Does anyone recognize this mark?

Images are copyright (c) 2016 Dana K. Williams. All rights are reserved.
Attached Images

dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Marcus den toom

Just a quick remark, the top jaw and jaw screw look like they came from a miquelet pistol. Not sure though it might just be the type of lock, but it caught my eye.

My guess would be a Swedish flintlock pistol, the pommel seems similar to the ones i have seen at Swedish auctions (labeled as Swedish).

Nothing concrete, but it is a lovely piece no matter what.
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 03:00 PM   #3
dana_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus den toom
Just a quick remark, the top jaw and jaw screw look like they came from a miquelet pistol. Not sure though it might just be the type of lock, but it caught my eye.

My guess would be a Swedish flintlock pistol, the pommel seems similar to the ones i have seen at Swedish auctions (labeled as Swedish).

Nothing concrete, but it is a lovely piece no matter what.
You are very sharp Marcus den toom. The top jaw and jaw screw do look like they came from a Spanish pistol. I have the feeling this pistol was made in the Netherlands or Belgium, but who knows.
Old 28th January 2016, 02:54 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Dana,
Let us see what knowledged members say but, you must be prepaired for those marks being meaningless .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 03:02 PM   #5
dana_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Dana,
Let us see what knowledged members say but, you must be prepaired for those marks being meaningless .
I'll try not to be disappointing if no one knows, but I've been really supersized by what I have learned here at the forum.
Old 28th January 2016, 06:21 PM   #6
corrado26

This is a Spanish cavalry pistol M 1781 (after Juan L. Calvo, Armamentos de Munición en las Fuerzas Armadas Espanolas). Cock with ringscrew and its upper lip are original and not from a miquelet pistol. Its sideplate is very characteristic.
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 06:51 PM   #7
dana_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
This is a Spanish cavalry pistol M 1781 (after Juan L. Calvo, Armamentos de Munición en las Fuerzas Armadas Espanolas). Cock with ringscrew and its upper lip are original and not from a miquelet pistol. Its sideplate is very characteristic.
corrado26

Thanks so much corrado26. Can you scan the page from Juan Calvo's publication for me? I wish more of Calvo's publications were in English.
Old 28th January 2016, 06:53 PM   #8
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
corrado26
Good shot, Corrado. It must be the same pistol present in Calvó's other work, Armamento Español en la Guerra de la Independencia, page 37. Only that this time he doesn't call it 'M 1781' but 'dated 1781' ... with a lock model 1753 of the French style.
But what troubles me in the example posted by Dana is that stamp on the lock. No rational lockmaker or arsenal would stamp a mark in the inverted position. This certainly was stamped afterwards, assuming this pistol is original. Also the lettering doesn't seem to make much sense .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 06:58 PM   #9
dana_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Also the lettering doesn't seem to make much sense .

I hear that.

Do you have an image from Calvo's book Fernando?