Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th August 2007, 09:31 PM   #1
TVV

Default THE REAL DEAL!

This is it, incredibly well preserved, back from the days when the Celts invaded Egypt, together with the Romans apparently. After the serious datu kris discussion, I thought we needed a good laugh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=009
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Just got to have it!
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 10:14 PM   #3
katana

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 04:50 AM   #4
elevennevele

don't get me started!
elevennevele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 06:55 AM   #5
elevennevele

Actually, on a serious note, the Roman did make their way up into England though I believe they never made their way up north where the Picts fought against them. I recall seeing Roman ruins in England a long time ago. Also, didn't they just uncover a more recent Roman find?

None of this however would support the claims on that sword.
elevennevele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 09:48 AM   #6
kronckew

arabic inscriptions look just like ruinic

obviously kaskara are a very early form if found in roman britain. maybe he can 'discover' it was actually excalibur!

on another note, hadrian's wall , built to mark and control trade at the northern border between the roman and celtic britains was dotted with forts, one of them, Vindolanda, they recently found an underground armoury with examples of what we call Lorica segmentata , as well as a lot of other stuff they are still meticulously sorting thru. they also found a lot of ordinary letters that had been thrown out onto the rubbish heap & partially burned. one of which was a letter where a legionnaire had written home for his family to send him some warm woolen socks and some new underpants. they have found a number of grave markers, one of which was in latin and aramaic where a syrian auxilliary centurion posted to the wall mourned the death of his british wife. rome was the original 'melting pot' of cultures. the wall was mainly manned by auxilliaries from all over the empire after they replaced the legions that originally built it.

the recent King Arthur (2004) movie gives a flavour of life on the wall as rome abandoned its borders and drew in on itself. just don't take it too literally. the arms and armour while gussied up by hollywood were not bad, and i liked the drako standard arturus uses.

p.s. - i've got the 'director's cut' dvd's on my desk as i type, think i'll watch it again now that i'm thinking of it....

Last edited by kronckew; 12th August 2007 at 09:59 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote