Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th March 2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Iain

Default Ethiopian alternative straight swords

I was digging around in my image archives today and came across a couple odd images that I was hoping I could learn more about.

The first is a kaskara, but was labeled as Ethiopian. I know of another kaskara with this odd pommel configuration, I believe the MET has it.

The second image is from one of the older churches in Ethiopia I think and is supposedly a king's sword.

Any further examples of this sort of thing - i.e. not the more typical horn hilts?
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Iain,
These strange pommel configurations, according to personal communications some years ago with archaeologist/curator Timothy Kendall, and an example in his collection with twin, flattened spheres similar to this arrangement, these were used by the mounted nobility in Darfur.
Apparantly these spheres often contained beans or pebbles and were used presumably to rattle over thier heads in victory celebrations or in many cases to terrify captives.
Ref: "History and Antiquities of Darfur" H.C.Balfour Paul, Sudan Antiquities Pamphlet, 1955.
Mr. Kendall is an archaeologist active in Egyptian and Sudanese sites, and his collection was on tour in Austria at the time I spoke with him, around ten years ago.
It would seem this example vestigially recalls these twin pommels.

Not sure on the sword in the second photo, but it seems a number of otherwise relatively inconsequential sword types ended up as regalia swords in Abyssinia during diplomatic contacts late 19th century. I have an article around here somewhere on one of these kinds of swords presented to King Theodore around that time.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Iain

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the details on the strange kaskara pommels.

The second sword is more interesting to me as I honestly can't place from an outside source. Strange form.

Cheers,

Iain
Old 12th March 2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree Iain, the blade seems to favor the kaskara blades we were looking at which were Clauberg type from 1870s or so with that central ellipse fuller, but hard to say for sure. The hilt with those apertures at the crossguard ends is curious as well, and of course reminds me of something I cant place, it almost looks like a bayonet kind of hilt.

All the best,
Jim
Old 12th March 2012, 08:08 PM   #5
TVV

Jim and Iain,
To me the hilt of the Ethiopian regalia sword looks very much like the hilt of a sword sold through Hermann Historica, pictures saved in this thread:

http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread...ight=historica

There, it was described as a late medieval sword from Egypt. I agree with Jim that the single fullered blade looks very much like a Solingen made blade from the mid 19th century, but the hilt may be quite older. Or, the "mameluke" sword may be from a later period.

Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams Iain ~ I am interested in the influence if any of Schiavona blades on African and Red Sea regional weapons. The double edge style are quite similar.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
I was digging around in my image archives today and came across a couple odd images that I was hoping I could learn more about.

The first is a kaskara, but was labeled as Ethiopian. I know of another kaskara with this odd pommel configuration, I believe the MET has it.

The second image is from one of the older churches in Ethiopia I think and is supposedly a king's sword.

Any further examples of this sort of thing - i.e. not the more typical horn hilts?
Salaams Iain~ I have been looking at this thread since it arrived and have to say I consider this one of the most important possibilities (the Mamluke link etc) I have yet encountered here. The connotations are legion including the rehilting of these blades onto Omani longhilts, fusion with Saudia and Yemeni hilts and so on. Intriguing also are the fancy decorations of moons etc on the other blade ~Luckhouse and Gunter plus other German makers have a hand in some of these as well as possible local copies. I see some with woolf marks in Muscat. On passing, I am reviewing the blade scene for Schiavona rehilts in Red Sea variants...

Anyway this thread is looking good and I hope it develops. Thanks.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Old 21st April 2012, 09:49 PM   #8
stephen wood

...the straight-bladed kaskara-like swords were associated with the Coptic priesthood which was administered from Alexandria until 1959.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 11:05 PM   #9
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wood
...the straight-bladed kaskara-like swords were associated with the Coptic priesthood which was administered from Alexandria until 1959.
Interesting, I assume you are referring to the type show in the second image at the start of this thread. A reference would be good on this apparently known association...
Old 4th November 2012, 06:14 PM   #10
Iain

Hi Stephen, I just wanted to bump this up again in case we could get more info on the connection with the coptic priesthood you mentioned?
Old 4th November 2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Now thats patience Iain!!!! 7 months
Im glad you brought this up again though, it would indeed be interesting to discover how these 'straight' kaskara like swords are used in the Coptic Church in thier ceremonial perspective. I am curious if there are curved types as well and if also included in such context.
Old 8th November 2012, 04:58 PM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wood

Salaams stephen wood ~ This is interesting if it is in fact the case ~ Perhaps you can elaborate ?

I was looking at the subject and discovered that The Church is ecumenical in outlook, and was a founder member of the World Council of Churches in 1948. The word 'Copt' comes from the Greek word 'Aigyptos', meaning Egyptian.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 27th October 2016, 09:25 PM   #13
Kubur

Hi Iain,

I have to resuscitate this old thread.
I asked recently some informations about a tabouka and a blade.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21988
Because I had something in mind.
I think your first sword is Ethiopian and the museum was right (this time).
I will post some documents tomorrow to prove it.
When I say Ethiopian I mean found in Ethiopia and used by Ethiopians,
The sword was probably captured from a battle between Sudanese and Ethiopians and refitted with a new pommel later by Ethiopians.

Best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 07:21 AM   #14
Kubur

In fact your sword is not from the MET.
The kaskara from the MET is here.
Your drawing comes from an old French traveller book, the author drawns and collected objects from Ethiopia, objects used by Ethiopians.
Theophile Lefebvre, Voyage en Abyssinie, 1845.
Best,
Kubur
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote