Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th May 2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Dinggat

Default Blades from Sarawak, Malaysia

Hi,
I wanted to show my collection, and ask if anyone knows if these are all parangs of the Iban tribe of Sarawak or if they are from other tribes (or if it is even possible to say that).

The first four: My parents brought them from Malaysia some 30 or more years ago (my Mom is from Sarawak, my Dad is from Germany but worked there, and they brought a lot of stuff with them when they moved to Germany):

Another two, my mom brought them from Sarawak in 2007, so I don't know if they are old or new. Hope they are not tourist art.

And I also got one blowpipe and two spears:

-----------------------------------------------------

And finally, I also have a Piso Podang of the Batak tribe of Sumatra. This weapon had made it's way to Borneo into the possession of my mom's family. I don't know the age. My mom then brought it to Germany. Such Piso Podang are not common, but can sometimes be found in the old heirlooms of Iban families (who didn't already sell it). The Japanese style sword below is just worthless souvenir stuff from Spain, don't look at it

Dinggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 03:29 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Can't tell much about these without seeing the blades and lots of close-up photos. Just on the surface they look like the kind of stuff made for the higher end tourist trade.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Dinggat

All items except for the two parangs in pic #2 are well over 30 years old (I mean: They are in Germany since more than 30 years. How long they have existed before is beyond my knowledge). Did a "tourist art" industry already exist back then?
Old 7th May 2009, 10:33 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Cool

THE HEADHUNTING DAYS WERE OVER LONG AGO BUT THE TOURIST HUNTING DAYS WERE IN FULL SWING 30 YEARS AGO AND TOURISTS ARE STILL IN SEASON.
IN YOUR FIRST PICTURE THE SMALLEST OF THE FOUR MANDAU APPEARS TO BE ONE MADE FOR ACTUAL VILLAGE USE AND MAY BE THE OLDEST. THE OTHERS WERE MADE EITHER FOR TOURISTS POSSIBLY FOR USE IN SHOWS FOR TOURISTS. THEY MAY ALSO HAVE BEEN USED IN CEREMONIES OR FOR PRESENTATION TO IMPORTANT VISITORS. THE OTHER TWO MANDAUS FALL INTO THIS CATAGORY. SOMETIMES A MANDAU LIKE THIS DOES HAVE A GOOD OLD BLADE BUT MOST OF THE TIME IT IS A NEW ONE AND THEY SOMETIMES EAT THE BLADES UP WITH ACID TO MAKE IT LOOK OLD.
THE TWO SPEARS LOOK TOURIST DEFINITELY NOT TRADITIONAL DAYAK FORMS. THE SUMPIT (BLOWGUN) LOOKS GOOD BUT IF IT IS OLD OR NEW I CANT SAY. THE PISO PODANG IS FAIRLY COMMON IN BORNEO MOSTLY IN KUCHING I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY ARE THERE BUT IT WOULD SEEM A LOT OF THEM ARRIVED AS TRADE GOODS SOME TIME IN THE PAST. A NICE DISPLAY NOT OFTEN SEEN WHERE YOU NOW LIVE
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Amuk Murugul

Hullo everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
THE HEADHUNTING DAYS WERE OVER LONG AGO........
.... unfortunately not TOTALLY... ask the people of Kalimantan... all that's needed is ... the RIGHT EXCUSE...

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 01:17 AM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
Hullo everybody!

.... unfortunately not TOTALLY... ask the people of Kalimantan... all that's needed is ... the RIGHT EXCUSE...

Best,
I've heard stories of heads being taken as late as the early 70s.
I look forward to seeing the blades on some of these Dinggat. Until then we are only really guessing.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 10:42 PM   #7
asomotif

Quote:
Did a "tourist art" industry already exist back then?
In batak (sumatra) area tourist trade existed before 1900
On Nias tourist trade started maybe somewhere in 1930's

As for these mandau's, parangs etc, pictures of the blades would be helpfull.
The handle and scabbard may be newer than the blade.

But to give my humble first opinion :

1st picture : left one looks like complete tourist to me. the others might well be contemporary examples.

2nd picture : both tourist IMHO

3rd picture : sumpitan looks tourist to me, spears, not even Borneo i think.

4th picture : podang : yep, that is the real thing. more pics of that one please...
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 12:15 AM   #8
Dinggat

So, except for the Piso Podang (and possibly the smallest one in pic #1) all of them are tourist art? That's kinda disappointing. But well, what could I expect.

I can confirm that the small parang is most probably a working tool. It has a pretty thick blade with no decorations at all. The other one's have more or less decorated blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
4th picture : podang : yep, that is the real thing. more pics of that one please...
I can provide you with more pics in a couple of weeks, I'm not at home right now. I'll open a new thread for it when the time has come

But I can show you two pics of another Piso Podang that hangs in my grandma's longhouse in Sarawak. I took two snapshots of it when I visited last time.

Is there any good literature on Iban "cutlery" out there? As a half-Iban who didn't grow up there I'm interested in all things Iban, but whereas ethnologic stuff about agriculture, history etc. can be found quite abundant, specialized literature on their swords has not shown up to me so far.

greetings and thanks