Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th February 2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Mick

Default Comments?

Got any comments on this thiis thing ?

Picture removed per request of the O.P. 7/21/2011

Last edited by Rick; 22nd July 2011 at 01:48 AM.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 08:45 PM   #2
nechesh

Cool Raksasa. Certainly looks Balinese to me. What's it made of? Are the stones sapphire? It's hard to tell. Can you post more photos and close-ups. Balinese metal workers still create hilts of this quality and finer, so it's hard to tell how old it is, but for some reason i have a feeling it's a 20th Century piece. Not new, but not very old either. I have to say i really love the raksasa form.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 09:09 PM   #3
empu kumis

Hello dear Mick,

this is the second handle from metal of this kind i have seen. The style is early or mid 17th cent. See my avatar. I dont dare to appraise them to this age without seeing the original. But i don`t think its new. Please let us see the right,left and backside and hairs too. This handle is gilded or of gold and filled with clay?

My Regards

ek
empu kumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 10:21 PM   #4
Mick

nechesh

The piece is Javanese. It is about three inches tall and the stones are inten. I know the stones are inten because I had them installed.

empu kumis

It is only the third that I have seen. The first was split by a shovel strike while excavating it and the bottom half was flattened out on both sides of the split. The metal is gold and is right now filled with wax to provide support to figure. Besides replacing the inten some small tears of the material was repaired.

I will have to make more photographs to furnish all side views, but basically it is extremely similar to the figures from Cirebon.
Old 5th February 2005, 11:04 PM   #5
nechesh

Fascinating. I have never seen Javanese ukiran with set stones so i guess that threw me. Also the gold, these materials are not usual for Jawa. What are inten, i do not know this stone?
You seem to know a bit more about this piece then you are telling, so out with it Mick!
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2005, 12:50 AM   #6
Mick

nechesh

Inten is a raw uncut (or slightly cut) diamond from the mines outside of Banjermasin in southern Borneo.
Old 6th February 2005, 01:19 AM   #7
John

Default Name of diety or figure?

Mick,

I've always enjoyed ALL the items you've posted and have saved them for references, if you don't mind . Picked this one when you were in Indonesia?

When it comes to figurine hilts like the one you've posted or Empu Kumis' avatar, I've had futile attempts in finding references as to who the dieties are precisely, their names etc; one always get a general description such as a diety, a raksasa or a god. Still trying to find out who the figures such as yours and EK's are if you or anyone knows.
John is offline   Reply With Quote