Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st November 2011, 06:16 PM   #1
G S T

Default Help Identify this Sword - (Talwar, Shamshir ?)

Hey All,

I bought this Sword in northern India about 2 years back, and since then i am trying to identify the origin of this sword. The following are the detailed attributes.

Blade - Made of Sukhela (mild Indian steel) and measures 32 inches long.
Full tang, Riveted to the Hilt and Jammed with Resin.

Hilt - Made of Barasingha (reindeer) Horn. The knuckle guard is attached to the quillon.
Thou the hilt has typical talwar features, but it lacks the bottom disc, and The lower 'beak' resembles that of a Shamshir.

The Overall design resembles the Indian Talwar, But The hilt and the curvature of the blade are two features which are unlike the Talwar. I have been trying to search for a similar sword but have not found one which looks like this one.

What could be the origin of this sword ?
has anyone seen a Sword like this before ?

Please provide your valuable inputs

Thanks
GST

G S T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 04:04 PM   #2
katana

Hi GST,
I would say a shamshir blade ..... a deliberately modified or 're-used' damaged tulwar hilt with the disc/pommel missing ... and obviously horn slabs rivetted to the tang to complete the hilt.
I am saying shamshir blade due to the fact it does not have a rat-tailed or similar tang that the tulwar would have had.
Whether this was a later marriage ('bitsa' sword) or one born out of necessity and, therefore, part of its history isn't clear, I'm afraid.

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I see an Afghan influence in the hilt scales .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Stan S.

The best way to tell tulwar from shamshir IMO is to look for the presence of a ricasso (the unsharpened area at the base of the blade). Ricasso on this type of blades is a unique feature identifying a sword as a tulwar. If the blade is sharpened evenly all the way to the hilt, it can be called a shamshir. From the pictures you provided, it does not appear that the ricasso is there but perhaps I am just not seeing it? The hilt shape. although not a typical one, definetely points at Indo Persia as a country of origin.

In conclusion I'd like to say that it is is a lovely and unusual sword you have there!
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:53 PM   #5
kronckew

my initial impression (before reading the other replies) was/is afghani.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Atlantia

I can't say with total certanty, but this style of hilt is in my experience a modern hybrid design. A way to spruce-up the simple steel Tulwar hilt and (i assumed) to make it more comfortable and widen it's appeal to modern buyers (including the export market).
I believe that the similar examples I've seen hail from Rajathan, N/N-W India.
If seen similar hilts described as being bone or camel bone.

That said, I can the others points about Afghan similarities and it wouldn't be much of a stretch to place it in Afghanistan and make it a 'Taliban Tulwar'.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

GST welcome to the forum! and thanks for posting this unusual example...gotta admit I hadn't seen anything with reindeer horn before!
Totally agree with the consensus here, a tulwar which has been redone with this hilt to become a rather appealing unusual example, and most likely in Afghan regions.
A tulwar I would say.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote