Hi Kerislovers,

I have found some interesting pages on Cambodian Krisses:

http://www.fareastasianart.com/store...tasianart.html

How our forumites think about ?

empu kumis
empu kumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 08:24 PM   #2
Andrew

That rust doesn't look like bronze to me.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 08:47 PM   #3
Rather

Does the blade really belong to that handle? Any information, where it was found? Seems to be very interesting, but for sure needs professional restoration.
Rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 09:23 PM   #4
nechesh

Interesting. I don't see any provenance connected to this piece, such as where it was found or when. Does bronze rust? I remain skeptical. I would not be surprised if the keris form made it as far as Cambodia, but given the dating here they seem to imply this area may have been involved in the origin of keris. The price isn't too high for such a "rare" keris, but i'm not so sure i will rush out and add it to my collection.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 09:40 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'm glad you brought this topic up, Empu Kumis. I have noticed these keris for a couple of years now and have wondered about them. The hilts seem bronze, but the blades steel. Bronze does not "rust" oxidize in the red/orange/brown colors like iron. My only problem with these is what Nechesh has raised in that there is not any information, research, or provenance associated. I have looked and have found nothing. Until I do, I am always wary (I also don't get anything I have not researched).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 10:07 PM   #6
empu kumis

Default Cambodian Kris !

There are two kerisses with rusty blades and bronze hilts. The hilts are not Javanese or Indonesian. The hilts might be the only difference and could help to find out the provenance. Maby some of our fellow forumites does know more on styles of Cambodia ? The blades reminds me on Javanese blades. Because of the lost ganja those people had no deep understanding of the keris. Bambang Harsrinuksmo in:

http://www.geocities.com/javakeris/kerisologi.htm

has mentioned Cambodia as one of the homelands of the keris and others too. This is the first time I have found pictures about Cambodian kerisses and therefore I like to share them. There is a story a Javanese princess has been married in the 14th Cent. ? to a king of Cambodia or a Cambodian princes to Java. Anyway I think Cambodia was for some time under Majapahit`s rule. This could be the reason wy the keris spread to Cambodia too. Probably there was not many in Cambodia and ther was no real keris culture. Maybe a curiosum ?
empu kumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2004, 12:58 AM   #7
nechesh

Does Bambang Harsrinuksmo's rule on the gonjo mean that all gonjo iras keris are not true keris? I have a rather nice old gonjo iras with a beautiful pamor adeg sapu that i would certainly argue is a real keris even though the gonjo is only delineated by an incised line.
I have heard of keris in Vietnam and i suppose back in the day the line between Vietnam and Cambodia didn't exist. Does anyone know what this kingdom was called back then?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote