Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th December 2010, 10:21 PM   #1
laEspadaAncha

Question Japanese WWII Side Knives?

I recently acquired these from the estate of a deceased WWII vet. His widow said he brought these back from Japan, where he had served as part of the occupation force.

Does anybody here have any exposure to these single-bevel Japanese "theater" knives?

My understanding is these were purely utilitarian in purpose, though the spear point example does seem as if it would be rather functional as a fighting knife as well. The non-beveled reverse has a slight hollow grind (concave surface), and it measures over 3mm in thickness (the tanto-tipped knife measures approx. 3 1/2 mm) - on par with other contemporary side knives carried by both Axis and Allied soldiers as well as many of the hunting knives I have. Some cursory research returned several forms of Japanese single-bevel knives used in food preparation, though these don't seem to "neatly" fit into any described types (at least based on blade profile). Could the larger of the two be considered a katakiri-ha tanto?

I'm growing fond of these quickly. I'm so used to seeing katanas, waki's, tantos, and military pattern knives that it's refreshing to come across what appear to be "everyman" knives of Japanese origin.

laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 01:49 AM   #2
laEspadaAncha

Here's pictures of the smaller knife's blade. Looks like a file knife, as if it was made from ground tool steel?

Old 14th December 2010, 03:19 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

NOT MY FIELD BUT YOU MIGHT TAKE A LOOK AT JAPANESE KNIVES USED FOR WORKING ON BONSAI TREES SOME OF THEM RESEMBLE THESE ESPECIALY THE SMALLER ONE. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 03:37 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

I think the smaller one is for marking wood when carving.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 05:34 AM   #5
laEspadaAncha

Thanks Barry... seems the small one is a bonsai grafting knife. Jose, what did you mean by "marking wood" when carving? One down, one to go...
Old 14th December 2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Rich

Neither are military knives. The top one is a gardening/bonsai knife; the lower one is a carpenter's knife used to mark and/or make precise cuts for wood working (I have two of them).

Rich S
-------------------------------------------------------
Richard Stein, PhD

Japanese Sword Guide
http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm

"Never go anywhere without a knife"
- Leroy Jethro Gibbs
-------------------------------------------------------
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote