Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th January 2013, 06:28 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default An actual New Land pattern pistol

This one was actually made in Britain ... in the Tower, for the case; period King William IV.
However a unit that saw its service in Portugal, as we may see by the Arsenal punction on the barrel, that of Queen Dona Maria II and also by the Regimental Marks, those of Regiment 1, Company B, Soldier 28.
Estimating the precise date of this pistol, within the span of King William realm (1830-37)...
Queen Dona Maria II reigned between 1834-53. The 1st. Cavalry Regiment was dissolved when the Liberal Wars ceased in 1834, leaving no later date for weapons allocation to that Regiment. We may then assume that this gun's production date is confined to 1830-34, when it entered Portugal.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 10:55 PM   #2
dana_w

Very nice. Is this a new acquisition Fernando?
dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 11:30 PM   #3
Fernando K

Estimado Fernando:

Lo que me llama la atención, siendo una pistola reglamentaria (es visible la BO con la flecha:Board of Ordnance) es la ausencia de los punzones del Banco de Pruebas, de Londres o Birmimgham. Asismismo, no puedo descifrar lo grabado en la madera, del lado izquierdo: W.H...........

Afectuosamente. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Fernando K

Dear Fernando:

What strikes me, being a service pistol (BO is visible with arrow: Board of Ordnance) is the absence of the proof mark punches of London or Birmimgham. Also i can not decipher the wood engraving on the left: WH ..........

Affectionately. Fernando K

Last edited by fernando; 19th January 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
Dear Fernando:

What strikes me, being a service pistol (BO is visible with arrow: Board of Ordnance) is the absence of the proof mark punches of London or Birmimgham. Also i can not decipher the wood engraving on the left: WH ..........

Affectionately. Fernando K
Caro Fernando K,
I wouldn't know the reason for the absence of British proof marks; maybe because this was a Portuguese contract and proof tests were not needed in the origin Country. I know this is not an unique example; there is a similar pistol out there in the Net with the same MR marks on the barrel and no proof marks.
The initials WH are the only ones in the same line.
But below other lettering appears, not being easy to decipher; some name finished by .... MSON. I would like to know what these mean.

Attached Images

Old 19th January 2013, 06:06 PM   #6
kronckew

nice pistol. no hidden proof marks underneath the barrel?

william iv was also king of hanover at the same time he was king in the UK. royalty was pretty much interrelated back then, and is still. hard for them to find a royal mate of similar age they are not too closely related to. his successor, victoria, managed to marry most of her children around the royal courts of europe - WW1 was in fact a squabble amoungst close family.

p.s. - what is the crown/B mark on the barrel? interim proof? germany also had a crown/B proof mark. it looks a bit mis-struck, could there have been another letter right of the 'B'?
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 19th January 2013 at 06:24 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 03:53 PM   #7
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_w
Very nice. Is this a new acquisition Fernando?
Yes, Dana.
Some swap i made during the last weekend.