Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th May 2005, 11:02 PM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking Another What Have We Here

Let's hear about this interesting sword .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...530514685&rd=1
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 11:20 PM   #2
M.carter

The hilt certainly seems turkish to me, karabela.
M.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 07:50 AM   #3
wolviex

Default Turkish or Polish

Nice find!!!

And unfortunately, as it used to be with objects like this one, it is very hard and sometimes impossible to tell where it comes from, because its origin is in territories of many different and merging influences.

It is 17th century karabela indeed. It could be Turkish because this is the country where in 17th century karabelas where mostly in use. This one is with European blade, not much curved (half of the 17th cent?) with two fullers and what is more important, with sun, stars and moon engravings, very simple and characteristic for European blades. And this is OK, while European blades were very often in use for Turkish karabelas. But this was also the time when such sabres became very popular in Poland, and in 18th century karabelas has become “national” Polish weapon of noblemen. Handle of this sabre is quite unusual because of metal band which also covers part of the cross guard. I saw something similar, also some kind of reinforcement, and I saw it in Polish sabre. This sabre was with some Hungarian influences.

Without conclusion, but with suggestion on Turkey or Poland. Anyway 700$ for such sabre is in my opinion quite good purchase.
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 10:31 AM   #4
tom hyle

The longish ferule is quite similar to things that are common on Arab (per se) swords, and on kaskara. It's long but not full length smacks of Afghanistan. Are we sure it's iron? The way the brass rivet has worn out from under it seems odd? One would think a rivet like this, through the upper lagnet, might be a regional marker? The overlay on the handle resembles that on a central Asian/West-Tartaric carbine stock I used to have, including the jagged toothy edge of the ferule. The shape of the pommel resembles those seen on E European Moslem knives (usually IDd as Bosnian). The guard seems to have cracked at the corner of the cavity/base of a quillon, which is fairly common. The wide and steady width of the blade makes me think of Slavic (specifically Russian) sabres and hangers.

Last edited by tom hyle; 14th May 2005 at 12:15 PM.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 02:54 PM   #5
RSWORD

Nice big beefy blade on this example but I was a bit curious about the hilt. In one of the pictures I notice an "eyelet". A rivet with a washer around it very much like what you see in Zanzibar Saif with the Nimcha like hilt. I was curious if this was a reshaped Nimcha or Saif hilt hence the need for the metal border around the entire hilt?
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 04:24 PM   #6
tom hyle

An interesting idea, but certainly not a nimcha type saif. I don't think I've seen one with a blade so wide, but they are famous for imported blades (they seem a coastal weapon to me). The reason I say "no" is the guard. It is structured differently from a nimcha guard, though the quillons are of square section, which is a similarity(!). First, there are too few of them, and there don't seem to "be" missing ones. Second though is the basic structure. Nimcha guards I've seen are made two ways; (A) one (Yemen, Swahili, etc. AFAIK) is a single piece with a hole poked thru it for the tang (and sometimes an annoe, probably welded on). These are typically forged-surfaced. (B) The other (AFAIK Moorocan and IMHO likely Maghreb? Though Magreb Berbers have a known sword that seems a version of the type for pommel and blade, but is guardless.) seems to be welded up with two cheek plates forming two sides of the tang slot and the ends of the quillons welded between them (this is somewhat speculative; I've never etched these. They are smooth/ground/filed surfaced, and I once thought them castings, actually, because of the surface, and because the tang slot is sometimes hollower inside than at the ends, but I've seen them to show fibrousness appearing to be wrought iron and forging marks. In any event, they, too have only a slot for the tang. The structure I've proposed is seen with later medieval European swords.). Both types have very short, almost vestigial, lagnets (bottom only) that run very close to the surface of the blade, and are often "clenched" down to it, with or without a coinlike soft metal "slug" in between. Turkish hilts are different, and are essentially similar to the guard part of a tulwar; they have a large hooplike opening that admits handle material and/or adhesive. The lagnets (upper and lower) run off from the edges of this hoop, and so bind the surface of the handle and run considerably higher than the surface of the blade (sitting outside the sheath) as we see here. The quillons of this type I've seen are welded on, the hoop having been formed in two halves (structurally similar to B above, but a much wider and rounded opening.), and are usually round, square but rotated 45 degrees or otherwise rhomboid (bladelike) or flattened section, but not usually square with this orientation. Arabian per se saif may be, but I think it's like the Turkish ones, from what I've seen. If anyone can tell us more about the structure of Arabian, Persian, Moorocan, Slavic, and Sudannic (or any other) versions of the four lagnet (Turkic? Persian?) hilt, I'd appreciate it.
The round overlay you mention is actually particularly similar to the rivet burrs on the gun stock I mentioned, which a similar one to recently appeared in some photos; maybe from a museum? Maybe from Wolviex (did I spell that right? ) ??? I posted mine to the old swap forum if that exists; I think I called it a "gun handle" or "musket handle" in the title, but there may have been other words, too.....

Last edited by tom hyle; 14th May 2005 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling; horrible, incomprehensivle spelloing
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote