Valjhun

Default Nice karabela hitled shamshir

That was nice!

Ebay number: 6609336728
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 09:21 AM   #2
ham

I'm afraid it's a rather poor modern copy.
If you look carefully at the elements, you will see they are all drawn from different types of sword as well as from different periods...

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 11:43 AM   #3
ariel

As a matter of fact, I wanted to post the same one for discussion, but.. heck! the glory goes to Valjhun!
I fully agree with Ham: the silver crossguard is very Polish (Wolviex, can you hear me? Come and judge us!), but looks perfectly pristine. Nary a scratch!
The handle is wood (could it have been so well preserved over the years?) and the incisions are very crude and not worn out. The blade has a Persian Qajar stamp dating it 20th century at the latest (I would not argue against 21st....)
This sword saw as much action on the battlefield as my wife's manicure scissors. My guess it is a modern souvenir from Poland.
That is fine, I have nothing against mementos (bought enough tee shirts and keychains myself), but for that price they could have thrown at least a case of Wyborowa into a deal!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 12:49 PM   #4
wolviex

Question hmmm....

Well...., I'm a little surprised of your Polish plot Ariel, I didn't think about it that way, at first glance. What do you mean by "modern souvenir"? - if you mean made within last 50-10 years, then I would be sceptical, though I don't know the tourist market very well. I would be surprised if someone wanted to sell as souvenir sabre with Persian marks, until it is one or one of very few examples to cheat someone. What you can buy today are almost only those sabres where you can find strictly Polish inscriptions. But who knows? Anyway the hilt might look Polish, but it could be from anywhere else too. Such hilts, made of silver, often with not high quality engravings are seen in Polish karabelas from the 2nd half of the 19th century. The motif of the little flowers was in use in Polish armament from the ca. beginning of the 18th century, as an influence of Persian art. But all of these doesn't exclude the possibility of other country origin, in my opinion. There are no real Polish features that could tell us for sure it was/is souvenir from this beautiful country. Maybe the blade is misleading me... but I just don't feel the National spirit in this sabre . Just might be, but nothing for sure.
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 01:19 PM   #5
ariel

You might be right (I am sure you are!) about my Polish allusions. It might be of Turkish, Iranian or Syrian manufacture. I just prefer Wyborowa to Arak
No matter what, I do not believe this sword is really old.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 01:42 PM   #6
M.carter

When I went to Syria in 2004, I saw many blades like this one, with fake Persian stamps, all newly made, but with horrible quality. Though I must say I never encountered any hilt like this in any bazaar over there.
M.carter is offline   Reply With Quote