Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th February 2007, 10:20 PM   #1
katana

Default In very rusty condition ...but is this a Khanda??

Hi Gentlemen,
bought this, but not yet received, so seller's pictures will have to suffice.
Due to the blade shape and hilt I believe this is a Khanda. OAL 40" Comments on this sword and the best way to restore it very gratefully received, thankyou.
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 12:52 AM   #2
spiral

Yes in Nepal they call that a Khanda, {Probably same in India.}

Baby oil soak for 24 hours & then 0000 or 000 wire wool to start, it may not be as bad as it looks...

See what it looks like after that. Minimal restoration is always best if possible I think.

Unusual pommel, rather nice. Looks like a lotus bud to me...

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 02:38 AM   #3
Pukka Bundook

No,
You'll never restore it,.............Just send it to me and I'll 'dispose' of it for you!

Looks just lovely to me!! Not messed about, very solid and genuine.
I'd love something like that!
I noted it still has little ears, where the padding would be laced in place.
Didn't notice the usual reinforce on this one, It may be very old.

Congrats David!!
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 12:27 PM   #4
katana

Thankyou both (Spiral & Richard) for your replies Oh, Richard thanks for your kind offer...but no thanks

It arrived today and some minor cleaning of the hilt has revealed some gold Koftgari but very patchy and not alot left . Seems at the time of manufacture most of the hilt had it. Very....very small areas on all parts of the hilt. The blade after a quick clean seems to be well forged, the blade is single edged with a 12" false edge on the opposite side. The blade widens at the 'spatula' tip. There could be a pattern (wootz ) showing behind the partially 'cleaned' areas of the blade ....but, I am in no way certain.
There is some movement in the pommel....but only a small amount....not to sure how to solve this problem. As yet I cannot find any markings on the blade but I am assuming that this sword was of some quality (in its time) because of the gold Koftgari ?
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 01:29 PM   #5
Pukka Bundook

Naa,.........It's probably gold spray paint, just send it to me to get rid of!

I can't wait for Jens or Jim or Brian to comment on this one, as they are in a Much better position to say something constructive!

All I can say, is don't go too rash with cleaning, that rust took a long time to get there, and should take a long time to remove!
You could try oiling with Olive oil, as this seems to have a peculiar ability to soften and lift rust in a most gentle manner.
Please document all progress David.

Best wishes,

PB.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Katana,

What you have, is a nice old classic khanda, which I would place in Rajasthan – congratulations. The hilt is nice, and as Spiral writes a bit unusual, the change of the spike to a flower but can be seen now and again, but please tell us about the blade, is it flexible? I think it would be, but I am not sure. How much you will clean it depends on your temperament, some remove the worse rust and make sure it wont rust any further, while others, like me, go a bit further, to make it show more of the original weapon, although I would never remove all the rust to get a shiny khanda. Let us know how the work proceeds.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote