Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th April 2006, 02:56 PM   #1
yuanzhumin

Smile Curious finds in Taipei

Hello

I was walking in the streets of Taipei, passing in front of this shop I had known forever without seeing and realizing that, in the middle of hundreds of old things he was selling, the owner had some swords, bows and two armours.

Altogether I pictured 11 swords (4 USA, 3 japanese, 2 chinese, one Dayak and one unknown).

I'm curious to know more about these swords, thanks to your expert help.
I will first begin with 2 of the USA swords and display the other ones later.

What I can see it is that they are not old, 40-50 years may be, are not military but masonic or brotherhood swords. Thanks for telling me more.

yuanzhumin
Attached Images

yuanzhumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Mark

These are ceremonial swords of the Masonic Knights Templar. The symbols of the cross in a crown, the cross patee, and the motton IN HOC SIGNO VINCES ("by this sign you will win") are all symbols of that order. The ivory grip denotes the sword of a Commander (the presiding officer of a Commandry - the working body of the Knights Templar). An ebony handle would indicate a Generalission, the no. 2 man. Usually the name of the owner is etched on the blade, and sometimes the name of his Commandry appears somewhere on the blade or scabbard as well.

[BTW, "in hoc signo vinces" are the words that the Roman Emperor Constantine is said to have seen in the sky, together with a cross, just before a major battle with the last-remaining Tetrarch (one of four "co-emperors"). He had crosses put on the legions' standard staffs, won the battle, and Christianity became the official religion of the Empire.]
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2006, 01:19 AM   #3
yuanzhumin

Arrow 2 other american swords, I guess

Thanks Mark for this additional infos on the 2 first swords.
I have a short free moment, so I take the opportunity to post the two other american swords I saw. These two are also not old, may be made in the sixties at the most.

The first one posted today seems to be made in Taiwan, as it is written on one side of the blade, but for an american owner of jewish faith as there is a david star on the other side, close to the guard. I don't know more.

The second is american also, with a stamp on the blade from Philadelphia and a motto on the other side. Also a brotherhood sword ?

Thanks
Attached Images

yuanzhumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2006, 01:55 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Okay , the first one is a US Naval dress sword . The dolphin on the scabbard drag is a dead giveaway .

The second one i'll leave for someone else ....
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2006, 02:21 AM   #5
RSWORD

The second sword is a M1902 Army officer sword. I believe these remained in commission up into the 1950's.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2006, 03:13 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

The six pointed star you mentioned is often used by various cutlers as a quality mark or talisman ; it can even be seen on some Islamic swords .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote