Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd April 2008, 07:09 AM   #1
JeffS

Default Kurdistan dagger

Hello

I've been admiring the simple lines and pronounced central rib of Kuristan daggers and am seeking to add one to my growing collection of miscellaneous ethnographic weapons.

I was hoping someone could comment on this Ebay auction. I started to bid on it, but realized I do not know enough to be confident in an Ebay purchase. This one sold for a low a price which does not fit with prices I have seen with similar daggers in far worse condition.

Ebay Dagger

Was this sale an accurate description of the item? Any advice on what I should be looking for in one of these? I'm wondering if I should be kicking myself for not bidding higher.
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:11 AM   #2
ALEX

Default Typical and Nice Kurdish Jambiya

Dizos, I share your admiration for these daggers and their elegant simplicity. The fittings vary, but the blades are always of very traditional/standard shape and form - slender with central ridge, most are of wootz, and some are of fantastic wootz. Please see this for more:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4511
This particular dagger is a typical Kurdish Jambiya, and also with quite large blade - over 10'' and nice tooled leather scabbard. The description is very accurate, no doubt. I also think the realized price was on a low side for the complete, well preserved and authentic dagger of about 70 to 100 years of age. It also may be even wootz! Overall - it's a good deal for sure!
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Dizos

There are a couple of othe forum members that are kicking themselves also It is an older late 19th century Kurdish jambiya in good shape I think the blade is not wootz due to it's size most of the wootz blades are smaller 7-8 inch range
still it was a steal for $70.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:30 AM   #4
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Dizos
...I think the blade is not wootz due to it's size most of the wootz blades are smaller 7-8 inch range... still it was a steal for $70.
Lew
Lew, you're right.... the larger blades are rare of wootz, but if they are - they are often of the nicest pattern like Kirk Narduban ladder, and the nicest I've seen are quite large- about 10''.
By the way, I know the person who got this dagger, and I'll let you know if it's wootz.
Old 8th May 2008, 06:34 PM   #5
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
... I think the blade is not wootz due to it's size most of the wootz blades are smaller 7-8 inch range still it was a steal for $70.
Lew
Lew/Dizos,
I had a pleasure of polishing/etching this blade. As I expected (quessed:-), the steel is wootz, but I expected ladder pattern for $70:-)
The coins are Turkish, dated as of 1929, and with Tughras struck on one side. I think they's later addition along with the water buffalo hilt and scabbard. Overall - a spectacular blade - wide, long and in fantastic condition. Lew was right - a steal... I think he meant a wootz steeal:-)
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2008, 07:20 PM   #6
ALEX

... few more pictures of Kurdish-style daggers (they also can be Persian or Turkish as well !?). All blades are over 10 inches long, and all are wootz (note the lighter quench areas near the hilts). One blade, in the middle, has a spectacular ladder Kirk Narduban pattern.
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Alex

Do you hear that strange sound? That's me banging my head against my key board

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote