Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th May 2024, 07:20 AM   #1
Changdao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M. View Post
Hi Helleri
I can imagine what you write. I am/was a blacksmith, not a bladesmith but rather architectural, banisters etc in baroque, art nouveau, art deco.
Over the years I did make a number of swords and knives as trials, especially for my son who loved knights and swords as a child.
You are right about fullers, traditionally they are forged or made with a drawknife. In the case of forged fullers indeed no material is taken away but driven to the side, as seen on the takouba I posted here.That I did not mention such a thing is probably because I take it for granted and think everyone sees it, a little too casual of me.
Once I made a sword as a test out of a leaf spring from my triumph spitfire, double edge and not hardened or any heat treatment. Together with a friend we indulged ourselves on a few large logs. The blade did not deform and the cutting edge passed the test. Under impact you could feel and see the blade flex.
About the less weight of fullers in a blade I partially agree regarding narrow, short fullers. There and against a wide fuller running from handle to tip does contribute to lower weight. I also mean that the use of fullers and ribs allows for a thinner blade. In my collection of Congolese weapons, there are many blades that are quite thin but all have fullers and ribs. However, I have yet to read any record anywhere that states that the African blacksmith applied the steel hardening process.Since the finishing of the blades was done in almost cold condition I assume that they removed the stress thus hammered into the steel by heating them slightly.
If anyone knows of such a report please let me know.

Best regards
marc
I believe that in Schweinfurth's writings about his experiences in Central Africa there are some excerpts about forging, but I'm not sure how detailed they are.
Changdao is offline   Reply With Quote