Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th June 2024, 06:35 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radboud View Post
I tend to agree with Corrado, that this arrow and occult icongraphy in general aren't specific to Caissagnard or Nantes the region. Caissagnard just stands out as he was quite consistent with the three designs used on blades that can be attributed to his business.

You raise a good point that the arrow bound in a scroll is quite a symbolic motif. It would be wonderful to learn who put it there and what special meaning (if any) was attributed to it.
I agree as well, and as you noted in our previous discussions that these occult symbolisms were not specific to Nantes, nor Caissagnard, who was but one of the artisans there who popularized these motifs. As often the case, as he was apparently one of the most notable or prevalent, his name became somewhat associated with the style and often used collectively as such.

The arrow in the scroll as I noted was only similar among other cases using this angelic trope in the convention of these kinds of occult motifs. Similar conventions were well known in Eastern Europe with what became known as the 'Transylvanian knot' with occult devices on the blades. We know that in mid 18th century to latter, influences from these regions, the hussars and pandours deeply influenced western Europe.

We cannot likely ever know exactly who placed this device as shown, but it seems compellingly associated with the occult conventions to do with angelic communication and talismanic imbuement, perhaps the cherubim symbolism with their use of the bow and arrow.

What is significant to me is the styling as a flourish on the spine of the blade similar to the Solingen rose, but with more direct occult association.

These examples of otherwise regulation style military swords, but with subtle decoration associated with these occult motif are fascinating, as they reflect just how much these kinds of esoterica influenced these forces.

In my view this takes a sword for a grenadier to another level, with far more intrigue than those with regularly marked blades.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote