Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th September 2024, 10:31 PM   #1
werecow

Default "Norman" style arming sword found in Linschoten

Quote:
Thousand-year-old sword found in sludge near Linschoten

A thousand-year-old sword has been found near Linschoten in Utrecht. The weapon is one meter long, weighs about 900 grams and is in fairly good condition according to experts. For example, there were still remains of wood and bits of leather on the handle.

The discovery was made in March this year by workers who were installing new revetment: "Suddenly it was there, the sword came up in the container between the sludge. It may have been deep in the dike body," says Hannelore Valentijn of the Huis te Linschoten estate.

Lanschot Estate
Immediately after the discovery, the sword, free of rust, was treated. It was left in a bath for ten weeks to desalinate and was given a protective layer so that it would not corrode. To get a better picture of the medieval sword, X-rays were taken.

[...]

Linschoten Estate owns the sword together with the municipality of Montfoort. It can be seen on the estate next Saturday during Open Monument Day.

The municipality and the estate are still considering a place where the sword can be exhibited afterwards. That must be a place where it can also be examined
https://nos.nl/artikel/2536935-duize...bij-linschoten
Attached Images

Last edited by werecow; 12th September 2024 at 10:44 PM.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2024, 02:00 PM   #2
cel7

Thanks for sharing werecow! Beautiful sword. I think the National Military Museum in Soest would be a good place to display it.
cel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2024, 05:23 PM   #3
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel7 View Post
Thanks for sharing werecow! Beautiful sword. I think the National Military Museum in Soest would be a good place to display it.
Yeah, that would be appropriate, although I hope it'll make its way to the Museum van Oudheden around the corner from me for a bit (as the military museum and Linschoten Estate are both a bit cumbersome to reach with PT - and I guess I'm too late for Linschoten now anyway).
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote