Thread: Dirk.
View Single Post
Old 28th March 2011, 03:15 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Alexander,
Im with Gav in regrets that no answers have come in on this, but I very much agree in his assessments of European influence and Ottoman associations. I am inclined to go toward North Africa though, as somehow the blade on this reminds me of a koummya, and high relief silvered scabbard is also mindful of these despite not having the typical turnback at the tip.

The cosmological symbols of course recall the prevalent use of these on European blades of the 18th century and which became well known on the broadsword blades of North Africa, particularly the kaskara.

The curved naval dirk while attractive for dress, was not especially favored for combat (Gilkerson p.115, Annis & May, p.75-76) and most naval dirks were straight bladed for the thrust.

I would think this nice example to have been made probably by outfitters in either Algiers or Egypt around turn of the century for British or French officers as a dress item. The bluing and gilt wash on the motif of course would have been intended to appeal to officers in accord with sabres of the time and thier decoration. I am curious as to what the pommel must have been.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote