View Single Post
Old 20th January 2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default A fine Styrian/Austrian halberd hafted in the North Italian taste, ca. 1580

Hi Fernando,

Congratulations - what a fine halberd retaining its original haft plus - astounding enough - its original textile haft decoration and raw silk tassels!

It is this way of textile haft decoration - btw., you are absolutely right: it is pinkish/rosy read velvet, most of its surface of course rubbed now; its color may have been sort of purple originally - that reflects the North Italian taste.

The blade, beak and spike are not characteristic Italian though, they look Styrian to me. On Italian halberds they usually tend to look comparatively delicate and kind of playful rather than apt for fighting as in your sample. Also the slaggy iron looks all Styrian to me.

Oh yeah, the mark. We all love marks. All I can say is that it is no doubt a workshop/maker's mark, though. It does not seem to be recorded but telling from its general shape and pattern, its style is still influenced by the Late Gothic tradition, a fact also drawing my thoughts to the traditionally minded Styria.

You most probably acquired a Styrian halberd iron that was hafted and decorated in the Italian manner. The overall length of 2.73 meters is absolutely characteristic of such a pieces of that time period.

I attach images of other typical contemporary Styrian halberds thousands of which are preserved at the Graz Armoury, and of the characteristic textile decoration on North Italian pieces.

All in all a very attractive piece. Would you perhaps consider applying some oilve oil to the iron? It looks so barren dry to me ... Olive oil was used on iron parts in European armories thru the centuries; after about three to four weeks, when it has dried it turns into a very stable yellowish patina supplying a perfect surface protection. I have been employing olive oil on iron parts for thirty years.

The picture of the Italian spontoons also shows the textile haft coverings and may be a reference for your partizan/spontoon.

Again, very well done, Fernando! Enjoy your new acquisitions!

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 20th January 2009 at 08:46 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote