View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2011, 04:50 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A possible Schiavona ancestor

Arriving end next week.
Said to date from the second half XVI century.
The basket guard resembles those of Schiavonas, giving basis to the assumption that this sword is a primitive example of such swords.
The nice sturdy pommel is however from a different school, although certainly belonging to the original setup.
The blade tip is broken, probably only for a short length, despite the fuller appears to finish at the present end. Although not so commonly seen, blades may sometimes have full length fullers. Besides, this one (blade) still has a length of 84 cms. (over 33"), longer than 'current' schiavonas, i would say. I will check better on this issue when the sword arrives.
However the more significant 'handycap', which surely influenced this sword's price, is a fissure in one side of the blade near the forte. I expect it hasn't significantly debilitated the blade's consistency. Anyhow i don't intend to practice fencing with it, and when i see it with naked eyes i may conclude that such crack was no more than the ideal accident to put its price on a 'decent' level.
Your guys coments will be so much appreciated, be them either optimist or pessimist; just hit me hard, have no mercy
I must advance that i have previously seeked backstage advice with our internal consultant Jim McDougall and Schiavona passionate Nathan Robinson from myArmoury, for whom both my recognition is addressed.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 3rd September 2011 at 08:06 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote