View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Thank you, Fernando,

Actually it was our member Zwielicht, who gave me the impulse to leaf thru literally everything I had.

The main problem with so little and barren information as we have is that the museums do not provide us with the knowledge that we are entitled of.

After all, these objects do not solely belong to the institutions that preserve them - they actually belong to all of us, and in my mind, they especially belong to the tiny but devoted community of students and scholars outside the museums who really are the ones that get going academic research the best they can!!!

I realize it's a very sad topic, and I can hear museum people holler, "we just don't have the time to do that, we are completely overworked ...". Well, I'have heard them bring forward that argument for more than 30 years, and believe me, friend, I'm fed up with it. I don't make half the money they do and I'm struggling for financial survival as all the jack I ever made is stuck in my collection, but I dedicated my life to A&A research more than half a century ago. And I God knows I have felt, and tried to comply with, the responsibility to support everybody showing serious interest ever since.

Anyway, I really feel like this is a topic our new member Armbrust might be willing to contribute to.

What I am trying to convey is that it is only working and researching together that any progress can be made by. Anybody walking alone on this hardly plowed field is bound to face isolation, frustration and standstill before long.

Anyways, best for tonight to everybody,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote