View Single Post
Old 8th September 2011, 05:35 PM   #13
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Seeking advice

The sword has arrived.
No point in posting more pictures as, the ones already posted, copied from the seller's website, are rather good and faithful and i could do no better.
The point of balance is quite close to the hilt (4 cms.), naturaly due to both the intricate iron basket and (beautiful) pommel weight.
The fissure (crack) on the blade is not dramatic; is more uncomfortable to the eyes than to actual debilitation potential.
Nevertheless, i will conveniently adopt the term "old warrior" for this piece. Two of the hilt branch ends are loose, although the whole guard setup still feels rather solid. It also looks as if the blade was subject to a straightening process.
On the other hand, a sword of this category, in prime condition, would cost two to three times as much, an horizon i can't reach.
But overall it looks like a great piece, with its large slice of mystic.
Now, i would like to ask you guys for an opinion:
The problem is that i am not managing to digest the looks of that broken tip.
Bearing in mind that:
1 - The blade presently measures 84,5 cms (33") to the crossguard, or 80,5cms (32") to the hilt.
2 - Its fuller just about ends slightly before the broken tip end.
3 - Unless compared with a similar (equal) sword example is hard to know the length of the missingh part; some two inches ?
Question:
Would you try and reshape its tip?
... More pointy, more gothic, more round ?
Or should i just leave it as it is and get accomodated with time coming ?
Thanks for your cooperation.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote