View Single Post
Old 31st December 2009, 07:07 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Kronckew yup I meant U.S. and I think there are probably a lot of 'last' charges depending on who's telling the story. Thats a great story about the German 'uhlans' in WWI, and indeed it seems even stranger with this truly anachronistic weapon ( then there will inevetably be the tales of the Polish lancers charging German tanks in WWII....primarily of course propoganda oriented).

Returning to the Civil War, the Union, clearly following certain European military traditions, decided to transform a couple of cavalry regiments into 'lancer' units. After the discussion already covering the miserable application of training with the sword, one can imagine the diastrous folly of this brainstorm. If I recall, I think it was Rush's lancers and I believe these were Pennsylvania units. While the use of the lance does not seem to have worked out too well, the units did serve with commensurate valor in a more conventional sense. I do not recall more detail, but the point was simply the anachronism element.

The lancer units that I believe did prove successful well into the 20th century were the famed 'Bengal Lancers' and a number of similar lancer units in the colorful native cavalry of the British Raj. I recall, as I have mentioned a number of times over the years, that I once visited an elderly British officer who had written an autobiography titled "Last of the Bengal Lancers".
He was Brigadier Francis Ingall who had served in Northwest Frontier Province in the early 1930's attached to I believe the 13th Bengal Lancers or its amalgamated counterpart. It was fantastic listening to him describe the 'hell for leather' charge on the plains in the Khyber regions, which was another of those 'last' cavalry charges (there was actually yet another I believe in Toungoo, Burma with British cavalry against Japanese in 1942).

Brigadier Ingall virtually lit up as he described this gallant charge, and showed me the huge M1912 officers cavalry sabre he had carried. In a poignant moment he glanced lovingly toward the fireplace, above which on a place of honor, was a portrait of his charger, "Eagerheart".
It was a day and a visit I will never forget.

All very best regards,
Jim

P.S. Kronckew, beautiful dogs, and the kepi looks good on ya, suh!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote