Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   TWO AFRICAN AXES for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7718)

kahnjar1 4th December 2008 07:00 AM

TWO AFRICAN AXES for comment

2 Attachment(s)
I have these two axes for comment on behalf of a friend. I think that they will end up on the swap forum eventually , but would like to find out a bit about them first.
The one with the bronze blade is 35" long and has bronze studs surrounding the blade mounting. Width of blade is 4 1/4". No wirework.
The steel bladed one is 29 1/2" long with a blade width of 5 1/2". This one has nice wirework around the blade mounting area and also at the handle end.
The blade is obviously a recycled something??? as it is clearly marked W. MARPLES & SONS HIBERNIA and a shamrock leaf.
Thanks in advance.
Regards Stuart
P.S. From the same source and coming up for comment when I get a moment, are 2 nice African Spears. :)

Freddy 4th December 2008 07:37 AM

I looked it up in the catalogue 'African metal implements, weapons, tools and regalia' (Collection of Frederick an Claire Mebel - 1984).

The author shows a similar axe. This is what he writes :

'This axe served only as a on ornamental weapon. It has an imported iron blade produced in Great Britain. tjhis half-moon shaped piece is welded to a straight tang that fits into an elegantly decorated shaft embellished wiht bands of plaited wire. Axes of this rare kind have been found among the Zulu and Xhosa of South Africa, peoples not particularly known for using axes. The major source for this kind of imported blades seems to have been Port Elisabeth.'

But I must say, it's the first time I see one with a bronze (or copper ?) blade.....but I'm still young :p

Tim Simmons 4th December 2008 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The bronze one is most striking, shame it has been cleaned with too much vigor. This is my favourite, big blade 5mm thick.

katana 4th December 2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1
The blade is obviously a recycled something??? as it is clearly marked W. MARPLES & SONS HIBERNIA and a shamrock leaf.
Thanks in advance.
Regards Stuart

Hi Stuart,
it originally was a 'herb chopper' I actually bought an old 'chopper' to see if the blade would be ideal as an axehead (will post pics later.....camera battery dead :( ). I am assuming that 'unfinished' herb cutters ie the blade and shaft were traded with the local Zulu population. However, I cannot find any references to support this.

Kind Regards David

katana 5th December 2008 02:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Stuart,
here are he pictures of the 'herb chopper' believed to be late victorian...early Edwardian.... Bearing in mind the Zulu's relied on 'outside' blacksmiths, these blades would be ideal for the 'iconic' Zulu (Shona) axe. I am sure that some axes have been 'fraudulently' manufactured with this type of chopper, but research suggests that a great number are genuine. I believe that the quality of the 'wirework' and general patination are the best guide to authenticity.

Regards David

colin henshaw 6th December 2008 04:27 PM

Most informative. I had seen these axes in the past with a European-made blade, but did not realise they originated as "herb choppers"

Regards

kahnjar1 8th December 2008 05:41 AM

Thanks

Thanks guys for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Regards Stuart

Tim Simmons 16th January 2009 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am giving this axe a big blow on the Kudu horn. Well travelled. Possibly a keep sake from the Boer War? Thanks Stu.