Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help identifying Qajar Kindjal (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29901)

simsar999 16th May 2024 06:38 AM

Help identifying Qajar Kindjal

6 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone! I know this is a qajar kindjal, from the late 19th century, but does anyone know who might have made it, where is came from, where it was used? Thank you!

A.alnakkas 16th May 2024 02:48 PM

Looks to be Qajar indeed so probably used in Iran?

I have an identical one, the blade is wootz. Give it a test!

mariusgmioc 16th May 2024 05:40 PM

I am pretty sure this one is Indian... and I would be surprised if it is wootz!

More exactly, I believe it to be an early 20th century Indian tourist replica. :(

But of course that I might be wrong... :cool:

Interested Party 16th May 2024 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc (Post 290991)
More exactly, I believe it to be a 20th century Indian tourist replica.:(

Early or late 20th century? Early is still during the ethnographic period of use. Do you suspect the whole item or just the fittings?

mariusgmioc 16th May 2024 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interested Party (Post 290994)
Early or late 20th century? Early is still during the ethnographic period of use. Do you suspect the whole item or just the fittings?

Early 20th century.

The hilt is matching the scabbard and the fittings so I believe they are all original parts.

BBJW 16th May 2024 08:05 PM

I believe early 20th century Persian with perhaps some Indian influence.--bbjw

A.alnakkas 5th June 2024 04:24 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Since the original poster did not update us about the blade, I'll share mine.

The mounts are crude, but Qajar period produced high quality and low quality items. The blade though is wootz and I believe even the original poster's blade is wootz as well. Seems to be from the same workshop.

mariusgmioc 5th June 2024 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.alnakkas (Post 291434)

The mounts are crude, but Qajar period produced high quality and low quality items. The blade though is wootz and I believe even the original poster's blade is wootz as well. Seems to be from the same workshop.

Indeed, they are very similar. And that is wootz indeed but in my opinion recent, 20th century crystalline wootz.

simsar999 20th September 2024 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.alnakkas (Post 291434)

My apologies! For some reason I am not getting updates nor am I able to see my subscribed posts, so I had no idea there were replies! I'll be trying to fix this now.
I am not sure if the blade is wootz quite honestly, and I have no idea how to test it. But yes, yours most definitely looks like mine!