Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Wootz Yataghan Thread (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14175)

CharlesS 7th August 2011 07:28 PM

The Wootz Yataghan Thread

7 Attachment(s)
For years I was convinced that a wootz yataghan did not exist and had several discussions with other collectors about it; some agreed, some did not. About 10 years ago I found my first wootz yataghan(#1 below) and only recently found my second example(#2 below). Rsword and I thought it would be cool to put together a thread that explored exclusively yataghans with wootz blades. Pattern welded examples and twistcore examples are less rare, though beautiful nonetheless, but here let's see some more examples of yataghans with wootz blades, including the various forms of wootz. I am sure Rsword has an example to contribute and hope many others will as well.

#1 below is 23 inches overall. #2 is 22.5 inches overall.

Battara 7th August 2011 09:52 PM

Both are great, though my favorite is the first one.

A.alnakkas 7th August 2011 10:27 PM

Amazing. Such lovely rare pieces. Is it far fetched to assume that those are persian trade blades?

CharlesS 7th August 2011 10:54 PM

Honestly, I do not know about the blades, though the quality of the wootz is certainly Persian. The blade style though is quite Ottoman, and typical to lots of yats.

A.alnakkas 7th August 2011 10:58 PM

What made me think its persian made for the turkish market is how similar the fullering and decoration to the ones done on persian made palas. Will try to find examples to share!

A.alnakkas 7th August 2011 11:01 PM

http://www.oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=3697

I hope you can see the similarity :-p

Battara 7th August 2011 11:29 PM

Am I right in noticing that the first piece is more Turkish than Balkan?

ariel 7th August 2011 11:39 PM

The second one looks Indian to me based on incised metal both on the blade and the handle.

Gavin Nugent 7th August 2011 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
The second one looks Indian to me based on incised metal both on the blade and the handle.

With anything possible in the wonderful world of blades, can you share an image Ariel?

There are numerous Turkish Kilij/Pala with this same handle aspect/design seen along the the spine including the raised ridge.

This Georgian sabre below also shares the same designs along the spine.

Both very nice pieces Charles, congrats and thanks for sharing.

Gav

ariel 8th August 2011 12:02 AM

Wootz yataghan Balkan

3 Attachment(s)
Poor pics, I know. But if you want Ansel Adams, look elsewhere:-)
Both have very faint and spotty wootz pattern, and I did not want to overetch them.

ariel 8th August 2011 12:04 AM

Wootz yataghan North Africa.

3 Attachment(s)
Agate handle ( one cheek is missing) with tourmalines and emerald.

Battara 8th August 2011 02:19 AM

I like your yats Ariel.

CharlesS 8th August 2011 02:54 AM

Thanks Ariel....great examples!!

Kurt 8th August 2011 09:50 AM

Ottoman wootz Yatagan

3 Attachment(s)
Hi ,
I'm sure this Yatagan was in a Ottoman workshop
produced.
Best
Kurt

CharlesS 10th August 2011 12:25 AM

Gorgeous piece Kurt...thanks for adding it to the thread.

Battara 10th August 2011 03:30 AM

Kurt - great yat - never seen one like this before. Vielen Dank!

RSWORD 14th August 2011 03:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My apologies Charles for taking so long to post my example but things have been a bit on the busy side for me. Here is my example. It is a good long Yat with a nice coarse wootz pattern with good activity. Interesting in this thread to see two smaller examples in that 20-24" range and then a couple of larger examples in the 28-33" range. Great examples that have been shared and I hope a few more are shared although I can understand given the scarcity of wootz examples that there wouldn't be a tremendous amount anyway.

CharlesS 14th August 2011 08:01 PM

Thanks Rsword...was looking forward to this one. No prob with your being "busy"! :rolleyes: