Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Described as a Khanda ? with ball bearings set in the blade. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7640)

katana 24th November 2008 07:11 PM

Described as a Khanda ? with ball bearings set in the blade.

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
just finished on eBay...looks to be a nice Patissa ? (Khanda blade mated to a tulwar hilt ?) ....with small rolling balls set into the wootz (bird's eye ?) blade. I know we have had several discussions on the reasons for the 'balls' ....but no difinitive answer has 'surfaced'.

I wondered on the opinions as to the Patissa /Khanda in question ..I have a few 'reservations'....and whether there are any other ideas as to the function or meaning for the balls.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=012

Kind regards David

ward 24th November 2008 07:56 PM

Looks brand new to me just left out in the weather and rusted up.
Koftagari on handle is not old type and blade with pronounced pattern like that very suspect also tears of the wounded unusual on this type sword

Valjhun 24th November 2008 08:03 PM

definetly FAKE.

rand 25th November 2008 12:13 AM

Fairly recently made sword.

The balls in the blade that could roll back and forth were sometimes called, "Tears of the Wounded".

rand

Gavin Nugent 25th November 2008 12:24 AM

I have also heard

I have also heard they are also called the tears of Allah.

Gav

ariel 25th November 2008 02:50 AM

The Tears of Broken Ballbearing...
I know, I know, we all had our suspicions, but it was bought by some poor schnook for almost $2K! The professional level of fakers goes up and up!

VANDOO 25th November 2008 01:40 PM

TEARS OF THE BUYER AND TEARS OF THE WOUNDED BOTH APPLY TO THIS TRANSACTION. :rolleyes:
PERHAPS NEXT WE WILL SEE AN INDIAN OR ARABIC SWORD WITH THE SEVEN STARS IN THE BLADE AS FOUND IN MANY CHINESE SWORDS.

Atlantia 25th November 2008 02:52 PM

Remember the helmet with the 'mysterious label' for the same seller?
Anyone see the 'moghul steel bows'?
Daggers?
I notice the descriptions are more 'appears to be' and the like now, rather than the old claims of 'at least 150 to 200 years old'

katana 25th November 2008 07:51 PM

Thank you for all your replies ....many 'echoing' my doubts about this sword.

My concerns were....

The blade 'patterning' appears raised ...similar to a number of 'modern' Indian knives .... pattern welded ? .. although this looks to be 'acid etched'.

I didn't realise that the koftgari was recent and not the 'old type' ....please, how do you know the difference ? However, there was no wear / rubbing of the koftgari either.

The two 'slots' nearest the hilt ...disappear 'into it' ...suggesting to me that hilt and blade were not meant to 'be together'.

You have to feel sorry for the 'winner'....a very expensive mistake.

Atlantia, the seller also seems to have had an inexhaustable supply of late 19th Century Zulu spears ...how?...your guess is as good as mine :rolleyes:

Kind Regards David

Atlantia 25th November 2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana
Thank you for all your replies ....many 'echoing' my doubts about this sword.

My concerns were....

The blade 'patterning' appears raised ...similar to a number of 'modern' Indian knives .... pattern welded ? .. although this looks to be 'acid etched'.

I didn't realise that the koftgari was recent and not the 'old type' ....please, how do you know the difference ? However, there was no wear / rubbing of the koftgari either.

The two 'slots' nearest the hilt ...disappear 'into it' ...suggesting to me that hilt and blade were meant to 'be together'.

You have to feel sorry for the 'winner'....a very expensive mistake.

Atlantia, the seller also seems to have had an inexhaustable supply of late 19th Century Zulu spears ...how?...your guess is as good as mine :rolleyes:

Kind Regards David

Hmm, I've noticed that. I don't buy African stuff, so I don't know his 'source' for those, or the knobkerries etc.
We've often bought from the same sellers, in fact I've regularly been outbid so remember many of the items and ended up with 'before' and 'after' pictures! I can only say that the items I won came in waterproof packaging and took mere days/weeks not centurys to arrive.
I guess I've been lucky!

Atlantia 26th November 2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANDOO
TEARS OF THE BUYER.

LOL, very good!!!

Jim McDougall 26th November 2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
The Tears of Broken Ballbearing...
I know, I know, we all had our suspicions, but it was bought by some poor schnook for almost $2K! The professional level of fakers goes up and up!

The tears of broken ballbearing!!!!! LOL!!! There goes another keyboard Ariel!!!
That is outstanding!!!

Thanks for the much welcome laugh, :D
Jim