Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Old Yatagan (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29898)

SchwarzStock 15th May 2024 04:27 PM

Old Yatagan

6 Attachment(s)
Hi, new here....

I picked this up back in the 1990's somewhere in SW Asia. Not sure where, I was traveling a lot in that region and on the African continent. Anyway, what do you guys think I've got?

I think the arrow head (on both sides) must have been like the "Front Toward Enemy" you see on Claymore mines these days:D

TVV 15th May 2024 09:45 PM

My opinion is that this yataghan is from Asia Minor. I am not sure of the symbology behind the arrow like motive, but it is also something you see on yataghan blades from Anatolia.

gp 16th May 2024 01:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I agree, the grip looks like # 19 and is indeed typical Ottoman Asia Minor.
Is the grip / handle made from wood or bone or horn ?

The blade looks also like a Yataghan bu the inscription decoration is interesting and I would like to see some close ups if possible after a little cleaning to see what exactly is written.

Compared to the usual Ottoman one, it looks a little more simple in its execution, but that also could be the work of a simple maker from the country side or a beginning crafstman...

SchwarzStock 16th May 2024 10:38 AM

The handle appears to be horn. Any suggestions on cleaning? I was thinking just a stiff brush and soapy water....

gp 16th May 2024 01:29 PM

gp 16th May 2024 01:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchwarzStock (Post 290984)
The handle appears to be horn. Any suggestions on cleaning? I was thinking just a stiff brush and soapy water....

I would start with either vaseline or a colorless natural oil ( nuts or virgin olive oil is also OK) on both blade and handle.
This will loosen any dirt or corrosion and also feed the handle which sometimes became too dry. The latter will avoid it to split. Repeat it if the handle is too dry.
Let it work for some time; subject to the dirt, either a couple of hours or a day.
Gently rub with a piece of cloth, cotton is OK, the dirt off.
Next I use aceton on a piece of cotton cloth to further clean the blade.
Once done, if needed you can finish with some very fine steel wool.
To polish, use a gum ( best tip ever, thnx to Detlef !) on the blade and silver or gold decoration. This will show its beauty.
Last but not least, apply either some specialized conservation wax or vaseline, colorless oil to leave a small thin protective layer. Good luck !
It worked for all my yataghans and bichaqs. And they were as dirty, two even more, than yours and below is the result

Pertinax 16th May 2024 02:24 PM

IMHO the style of the ornament and the technique of its execution reminds me of the Tuaregs.

Regards, Yuri

francantolin 17th May 2024 08:41 PM

Hello,
It has the classic T hilt shape and ornementation of a Zeybek Yataghan, western Turkey / Anatolia

Kind regards

SchwarzStock 19th May 2024 12:05 PM

"Cleaned"

This is after first scrubbing using soapy water and a stiff brush then letting vaseline sit on the blade for 10-12 hours.

Ian 19th May 2024 02:08 PM

SchwartzStock, still no pictures. Please check that your pictures are not too large and are of the correct format. Are you trying to attach them to your post? When I open and edit your last post there are no pictures attached to it.

SchwarzStock 20th May 2024 04:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Again...

werecow 25th May 2024 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by francantolin (Post 291023)
Hello,
It has the classic T hilt shape and ornementation of a Zeybek Yataghan, western Turkey / Anatolia

Kind regards

This was my first impression as well.