Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Batak sword? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16895)

Sajen 28th February 2013 11:31 PM

Batak sword?

12 Attachment(s)
This one just ended by ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Nice-19...vip=true&rt=nc
I was outbid but think that the happy winner have get it for a very very good price, hopefully someone from the forum.

I think that it is a Batak sword but frankly said I never have seen something similar before. I would like to know if someone is able to enlighten me.

Sajen 28th February 2013 11:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
some more pictures.

kai 1st March 2013 08:00 AM

Hello Detlef,

Quote:

I think that it is a Batak sword but frankly said I never have seen something similar before.
Sure, Batak: Pakpak tribe. Nice knife with blade in ladingin shape; need to check where I saw a similar hilt - will try to post a pic.

Regards,
Kai

T. Koch 1st March 2013 11:54 AM

Hi Detlef!

Killer sword bro - I love the hilt and fittings! The blade (lading, as kai says) and especially scabbard says Batak to me too, although I haven't seen a similar hilt in my (rather diminutive) collection of material on the Batak. Most often, I've seen the lading with a Babah Buya hilt. Love the color and structure of the horn - and is that a very cool native repair we see on the ridge?

I have no doubt that kai will be back with a photo of a match. ;)

Hope you have a great weekend guys, - Thor

T. Koch 1st March 2013 12:00 PM

...just clicked on the link and saw the price - holy crap that was cheap! Hope it went to someone around here? :)

Maurice 1st March 2013 12:13 PM

Very nice sword!
A pity you got outbid on this one...

I think the blade is a typicall amanremu blade.

Maurice

asomotif 1st March 2013 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice sword.

The hilt makes me think of lopah petawaran hilts. although the cutting edge in reversed on them.

The end cap of the hilt is a repair. Wonder if the shape and length of this cap is original, or was it longer, as with the Lopah Petwaran handles :shrug:

can we call this a "hulu paroh blesekan" ?

Best regards,
Willem

kai 1st March 2013 10:00 PM

Hello Thor,

Quote:

and is that a very cool native repair we see on the ridge?
I believe that the seller is correct that there was a metal (probably silver) piece attached (with 2 brass pins) which is now missing.

Quote:

I have no doubt that kai will be back with a photo of a match.
Don't hold your breath though - I seem to remember seing something like this hilt but my active memory still refuses to give a hint... ;)

Regards,
Kai

kai 1st March 2013 10:09 PM

Hello Maurice,

Quote:

I think the blade is a typicall amanremu blade.
Yes, very similar. Some ladingin also come with this type of blade.

Note that this is small (blade 11.5 inches = 29 cm) - should handle more like a knife rather than a sword.

Regards,
Kai

kai 1st March 2013 10:19 PM

Hello Willem,

Quote:

The end cap of the hilt is a repair. Wonder if the shape and length of this cap is original, or was it longer, as with the Lopah Petwaran handles :shrug:
What hints do you see for a later repair? From the pics, I believe this could be en suite with the ferrule.

Quote:

The hilt makes me think of lopah petawaran hilts. although the cutting edge in reversed on them.

can we call this a "hulu paroh blesekan" ?
Given the multitude of names for hilts from many of the ethnic groups all over N Sumatra, I'd guess that this quite distinct hilt did have a special name, too.

It seems quite possible that all these hilts with long protrusions developed from a common base/idea though!

Regards,
Kai

asomotif 1st March 2013 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
What hints do you see for a later repair? From the pics, I believe this could be en suite with the ferrule.

Hello Kai,

Please check this picture.
There is definately a difference in the silverwire pattern, as well as the refinement of this silverwork.

Maurice 1st March 2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
Note that this is small (blade 11.5 inches = 29 cm) - should handle more like a knife rather than a sword.

Haha missed that! Would be a very tiny amanremu blade than..

Regards,
Maurice

Sajen 3rd March 2013 09:52 PM

Thank you all for comment! :)

I am also haven't seen that it is so small! :D

Battara 4th March 2013 12:27 AM

Ok I just handled this piece this weekend here at the Louisville show. IT is a nice piece but small - more of a dagger size, not a sword.

Almost bought it, but bought other stuff at the show.........

VVV 4th March 2013 09:12 AM

I have my doubts: there are no other hilts like this found in any reference works; the blade is much smaller than usual; it was originally sold by a Sumatran dealer who seems to "renovate" old blades now and then.

Michael

asomotif 4th March 2013 11:42 PM

[QUOTE=VVV it was originally sold by a Sumatran dealer who seems to "renovate" old blades now and then.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, my great fear.
When offered from a suspicious seller, your are warned.
But when it shows up in a different setting, your are less careful and hope to have found a rare variation.... :shrug: :( :mad: