Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Introduction and Keris for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10944)

SwordZ 17th October 2009 02:56 AM

Introduction and Keris for comment

3 Attachment(s)
Dear All Moderator and Member,

Hi, i`m Jhony from North Sumatera, Indonesia.

I hv lurking in this forum for quiet a long time, and happy can join now
;) ( previously got no response by register from web )

I collect some Indonesia edge weapon and japanese gunto.

Here i attached one of my keris, pls give me some comment for enlightenment.

Rgds
Jhony

David 17th October 2009 11:03 PM

Hi Jhony, welcome to the forum. Interesting keris. I would think that it is either an old keris which has received substantial reshaping and carving or it is a new keris which was given a very aggressive acid washing to give it a look of antiquity.

BluErf 18th October 2009 03:09 AM

I think so too.... And the hilt looks like a recent interpretation of a non-Javanese keris panjang's hilt.

kulbuntet 18th October 2009 05:41 PM

Acid treatment is what i can see. Wilah might be Maduran, but not completly sure.I do not know about the age. The selut/pendokok and hilt both new.

I have a Madura keris look bit similar... at least for the etching.

see link

Btw, Jhony, welcome to the forum!

regards Michel

SwordZ 19th October 2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulbuntet
Acid treatment is what i can see. Wilah might be Maduran, but not completly sure.I do not know about the age. The selut/pendokok and hilt both new.

I have a Madura keris look bit similar... at least for the etching.

see link

Btw, Jhony, welcome to the forum!

regards Michel

Thanks ALL.

Yeah, i think that`s a new keris or many forumites vote as KLO.

I bought for a cup of starbuck cofee price... i just a bit puzzle from previous thread that Mr.Alan vote as low grade keris and in my novice eyes, seems almost like this one, esp on the pesi. I`ll take the pesi pics and upload later.

SwordZ 20th October 2009 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, here the pics of pesi.

Confirming a new keris ?

Rgds
Jhony

David 20th October 2009 01:38 PM

Hi Jhony. It might very well be an older keris, but all the carvings on it are new. Then they give it a heavy-handed acid wash to hide the newness of the carvings. This is a way to take very ordinary old blades and make them marketable.

Jussi M. 20th October 2009 07:02 PM

Well...

I actually like the overall look what ever the quality and pedigree it may posses ;)

Thanks,

J

David 20th October 2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi M.
I actually like the overall look what ever the quality and pedigree it may posses ;)

Well, it does seem to be somewhat a fantasy dhapur, in that i don't think it would fit into any particularly approved pakem. :shrug: :)