Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   A bit unusual keris (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=412)

BluErf 21st August 2005 02:51 AM

Hey John,

Dropped by Adni's shop for about an hour yesterday afternoon and saw them! Apparently they arrived shortly before and Adni was inspecting them. What luck! :)

You have 2 very beautiful pedigree Bugis kerises in excellent condition, oozing machismo. Very well defined hexagonal cross-section, broad, and with great luks too. I think one of them is a Straits Bugis piece, and the other a Sulawesi Bugis piece. Though slightly different, both are like matcthing brothers.

Hey, you have quite a number of great Bugis kerises already! I'm really jealous! :)

John 21st August 2005 05:01 AM

You know you just make me so happy with the news! Thank you so much Kai Wee. I guess I've a lot to thank Stefan Domoney as well.

I can assure you the jealousy is more than mutual from my part just Bugiswise.

Alam Shah 23rd August 2005 02:53 PM

John,
Been to Adni's, today. Seen your blades. :eek:
Both blades are beautiful. The shorter piece is my kind of blade.
Thick, broad and well-balanced.

The longer piece is a Bugis Sulawesi blade. Need sheath reworks, though.
As for the description, BluErf had summed it up, nicely. ;)
Congratulations.:)

John 24th August 2005 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alam Shah
John,
Been to Adni's, today. Seen your blades. :eek:
Both blades are beautiful. The shorter piece is my kind of blade.
Thick, broad and well-balanced.

The longer piece is a Bugis Sulawesi blade. Need sheath reworks, though.
As for the description, BluErf had summed it up, nicely. ;)
Congratulations.:)

Thanks Alam Shah. I've preference of the shorter piece too in spite of it's slightly cut tang although seemingly long enough to take on an acute angled sulawesi styled kerdas hulu. I think the longer piece is a Straits Bugis. As you probably already know they are on their way to Kelantan this weekend for refurbishing/resurrection and I can't wait to see them completed especially after Kai Wee's and your assessments. :D

Looks like I just can't stop...I've told myself more than once to retire from collecting keris but always tak boleh tahan. Maybe I'm hooked for life...

Alam Shah 24th August 2005 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John
Looks like I just can't stop...I've told myself more than once to retire from collecting keris but always tak boleh tahan. Maybe I'm hooked for life...

Well, we can help you, by buying all pieces that you're interested in. ;)
We're here for you. It would be nice to see your collection, though. Do create a gallery at Kampungnet. (In a day or two...) :D

Raja Muda 24th August 2005 05:58 AM

Bugis Beauties

Abang John,

The suspense is killing me. Hope to see the two Bugis blades soon, restored to their full glory. BTW, which tukang is going to help out with the restoration?
I have met Syukri recently and he has successfully replicated the extra broad Bugis sampir, though it will take some time before the kemuning wood turns a glorious orange-red-brown patina. :)

John 24th August 2005 06:52 AM

Shahrial,

Will do some photographing during my next leave and put a few pieces up at the gallery. Will be requiring your kind assistance in the cover design :) and will liaise with you via email in due course.

Yang Mulia Raja Muda,

You've guessed it, indeed Syukri shall be doing the work. He'll need to do some sheath adjustments/realignments, make buntut fitments and carve a kemuning Sulawesi kerdas hulu. Looks like I've inadvertently put myself under scrutiny haven't I? :o Didn't really meant for it to happen this way. :) Seems I now can't extricate myself from putting up pictures upon completion. BTW that's an interesting lineage you have there Raja Muda.

John 29th October 2005 08:49 AM

Restorations done.

1 Attachment(s)
The kerises have returned from Kelantan after some restorations. For a peek, click:

Keris Bugis Sulawesi

Straits Bugis

The "as received" picture (courtesy of Asoka-arts) is as follows.

Alam Shah 29th October 2005 01:13 PM

corrections...ahem.

I stand corrected, (mixed up in my earlier post).:o
Bugis Sulawesi (left) and Straits Bugis (right). :D

Congratulations! on these pieces. These are fine blades.;)

The restoration works on the Straits piece is much better than on the Sulawesi sheath. Both look better than before. My personal preference would be a non-lacquered finish.

kerisbiz 20th June 2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Whilst we have been on Sulawesi/Bugis... From the publication - HOUTSNIJWERK EN METAALBEWERKING IN NEDERLANDSCH-INDIE. PUBLISHER: DEBUSSY, AMSTERDAM, 1916.

where can i get the copy of this book ?

Battara 21st June 2016 03:34 PM

I will move this to the Keris Forum.

mariusgmioc 27th June 2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
I will move this to the Keris Forum.

I thought this IS the Keris forum?!
:shrug:

Rick 27th June 2016 05:51 PM

Confusion

Marius, the post (#49) is dated 2005, before the keris subforum was created. :)
This will happen now and then when a post is dredged up from the old pre warung Ethno forum.

mariusgmioc 27th June 2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
Marius, the post (#49) is dated 2005, before the keris subforum was created. :)
This will happen now and then when a post is dredged up from the old pre warung Ethno forum.

Thanks!
:)

kerisbiz 5th September 2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Whilst we have been on Sulawesi/Bugis... From the publication - HOUTSNIJWERK EN METAALBEWERKING IN NEDERLANDSCH-INDIE. PUBLISHER: DEBUSSY, AMSTERDAM, 1916.

where can i get the copy of this book?