Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Show us your Powder flask (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19761)

Kubur 10th April 2015 06:46 PM

Yes there is no mention of the origin but the objects of the whole set are from Oman. So I think your powder flask is from Oman or Balutchistan...

kahnjar1 10th April 2015 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubur
Yes there is no mention of the origin but the objects of the whole set are from Oman. So I think your powder flask is from Oman or Balutchistan...

Could be either but there is a huge distance between the two places. Balutchistan (a part of Pakistan) borders modern day Iran which of course was called Persia......a VERY long way from Oman.
The fact that the pic shows mostly Omani objects does not CONCLUSIVELY mean that they are ALL Omani.
Stone's Glossary shows this general shape as being from Persia and another similar shape as being from Sudan, so perhaps the shape was a rather universal one in the greater region............
IBRAHIIM WE NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE
Stu

Kubur 10th April 2015 11:31 PM

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...n+powder+flask

kahnjar1 11th April 2015 03:50 AM

Quote:

I do not see any conclusive evidence here.....many of the items shown in the souks are not Omani. Certainly there is a powder flask of a similar type shown but that in itself does not prove it's origins.

rickystl 12th April 2015 07:22 PM

Hi Fernando. That is a really interesting flask. Hard to pinpoint. Hmmmm I don't believe it is Persian. My guess is Indo-Arab. Sort of built on the Persian design, but decorated in some what Afghan. But you don't usually see Afghan powder containers with such a pronounced curve. Rick.

fernando 13th April 2015 12:31 PM

Points noted, Rick.Thank you.

junker 15th April 2015 05:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

well you show me yours,
so I will show you mine.

Nothing special, but maybe the wooden one from northern africa (Elgood)

regards from
Dirk

VANDERNOTTE 15th April 2015 06:51 PM

two more for iden
saludos
jacques

Kubur 16th April 2015 09:17 AM

Where are they??

Dirk, yes your wooden one is from Morocco.
Probably Argania tree.

Kubur

fernando 16th April 2015 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANDERNOTTE
two more for iden
saludos
jacques

No pictures, Jacques ?

VANDERNOTTE 16th April 2015 05:02 PM

flask

i have problem whise this dam machine...paciense
jacques

VANDERNOTTE 17th April 2015 01:05 AM

flask

3 Attachment(s)
pic

junker 18th April 2015 07:36 AM

Thanks, Kubur.
I know it came fron Northafrica but i was surprised that it maybe made of arganian tree wood. Never thought of that. Thanks again.
Dirk

Kubur 20th April 2015 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry guys, the powder flask that I showed you previously is not Indian but Afghan...watch this nice pic...

kahnjar1 20th April 2015 09:57 PM

Quote:

Sorry guys, the powder flask that I showed you previously is not Indian but Afghan...watch this nice pic...

Interesting picture.....check out the guy on the right using what appears to be a rest to steady his aim. Also the placement of the gun stock during firing. The butt appears to be well below the shoulder. If the gun was of European design then the butt would normally be at shoulder level.

Norman McCormick 20th April 2015 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Stu,
You might find this interesting.
Regards,
Norman.

kahnjar1 21st April 2015 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi Stu,
You might find this interesting.
Regards,
Norman.

Yes thanks. The butt is off the shoulder but the look of it, more resting on the upper arm. Would have thought that the bruising would have been rather painful......

stelio 22nd April 2015 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Two oil case for weapons,from balkan area in 18/19 century.

rickystl 26th April 2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Where are they??

Dirk, yes your wooden one is from Morocco.
Probably Argania tree.

Kubur

Agree that the wooden flask is from Morocco - or my guess would be. Algeria.
This Thread has been much fun. It's great to see others powder and bullet containers. Would you have thought there would be this many among all of us? Lol. Thanks all for Posting. I actually have 2-3 more I forgot to Post originally. But will do so in due course. One especially interesting. Rick.

rickystl 26th April 2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Interesting picture.....check out the guy on the right using what appears to be a rest to steady his aim. Also the placement of the gun stock during firing. The butt appears to be well below the shoulder. If the gun was of European design then the butt would normally be at shoulder level.

Yes! Great pic! I have not seen this one before. I'll save this in my library.
The Stands for these guns hard really hard to come by. There was an adjustable one that came up for sale about a year ago. But I was too late and missed it. :(
After firing the Afghan Jazail myself, I've come to a couple of conclusions the butt stock not only curves, but also tapers more thin as it reaches the butt cap. If you hold it under your arm pit, it's quite comfortable. And the butt cap does in fact seem to fit the upper most pert of the arm vs the shoulder. The Jazails tend to be barrel heavy, so that would absorb much of the recoil. And that has also been my findings. Rick.

Battara 30th April 2015 01:57 AM

My mistake and apologies for moving to the wrong forum. :o

Continue to discuss amongst yourselves.............

rickystl 25th May 2015 08:09 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Hello all. Two more flasks I forgot to include the first time around. One is especially interesting.

1) Typical Indo-Persian, small priming flask most of us are familiar with. It looks iron in the photos, but is all brass and in working order. Needs a proper cleaning.
2) This is one of the most interesting priming flask that I own. And I've never seen another one like it. It appears to be Ottoman. And is "spring loaded". Hold your finger on top of the spout, hold upside down and press inward. Keeping your finger over the spout, release the spring tension, and the spout fills with a small amount of priming powder. And it works fine. There are two holes in the shaft to allow the powder to enter the spout. But there are also two very tiny holes in the shaft to eliminate a vacuum while operating.
Spring loaded flask were common in North America and Europe. But this is the first Ottoman style I've ever seen. Very neat.
Rick.

rickystl 25th May 2015 08:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics........

rickystl 25th May 2015 08:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And here are two new arrivals.
1) A typical Persian Barut Dan, medium size flask. All brass with the low grade silver/white metal embelishment. All solid and in working condition. Unfortunately, missing one of it's carrying rings. :mad:
2) This is a tiny priming flask from......I don't know where. But the engraving looks somewhat Moroccan (?) :shrug: And I don't believe it's very old. But it's in perfect working order and will make a nice, more authentic addition to my Moroccan long gun while at the shooting range. LOL :rolleyes:
Rick.

rickystl 25th May 2015 08:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The other tiny one........

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 27th May 2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Could be either but there is a huge distance between the two places. Balutchistan (a part of Pakistan) borders modern day Iran which of course was called Persia......a VERY long way from Oman.
The fact that the pic shows mostly Omani objects does not CONCLUSIVELY mean that they are ALL Omani.
Stone's Glossary shows this general shape as being from Persia and another similar shape as being from Sudan, so perhaps the shape was a rather universal one in the greater region............
IBRAHIIM WE NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE
Stu

Salaams Khanjar1 ..Late reply... I missed this entire thread. Your point is good. Oman owned a small swathe of Baluchistan which it sold back to Pakistan in 1950. This was the area around Gwadur seaport. As part of the deal Oman was allowed to continue to recruit Baluch soldiers for Oman up until today...There is an entire tribe in Oman called al Baluch. They stretch all the way down the Baatinah coast and are numerous in Buraimi and Muscat.
The absolutely Omani powder flask is as you have in your collection with silver work throughout and on a chain and often attached to a leather strap and worn around the neck. The second type is a wooden one that you also show often with a silver chain and cover.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

VANDOO 30th May 2015 03:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
#1. VARIOUS 19TH CENTURY LEATHER POWDER FLASKS
#2. VARIOUS EASTERN POWDER FLASKS.

kahnjar1 30th May 2015 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANDOO

Hi Barry,
Not being "picky".....top pic......the two on the left of the pic are Powder Flasks, the others are shot flasks. All in nice condition by the look of them.
LOVE the Middle Eastern group in the second pic :) :)
Stu

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 10th June 2015 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More Powder Flasks

rickystl 20th June 2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANDOO

Hi Vandoo.
WOW!! What a nice collection of powder/shot flasks. Very good!
Rick.

Kubur 9th March 2016 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What is this?

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 10th March 2016 11:20 AM

Quote:

What is this?

Salaams Kubur... This looks like Indian paintwork...Rajastan? on a camel skin gunpowder holder...said to be male the Camel organ..!
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

corrado26 10th March 2016 11:40 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are a powderflask made in Brescia ca. 1600 and an oriental bulletcontainer from my collection
corrado26

Kurt 10th March 2016 03:26 PM

Here are some from the Caucasus.

1 Attachment(s)
These small containers are for priming powder.
Best Kurt

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 30th May 2016 05:55 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Powder Flasks and Containers. The cartridge shaped items are Russian. The orange coloured teardrop flask with silver rectangles inside a black backround is Japanese Edo Period. :shrug:

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 4th June 2016 11:10 AM

Akali Sikh warriors

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture with the participants; A Sikh group wearing War Quoits on special head dress... :shrug: Note one has a nice powder flask on his belt.

Kubur 4th June 2016 06:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Ibrahim,

Another one, from Yemen, I guess from Hadramawt...

Best,

Drabant1701 21st June 2016 05:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is a 19th century Ottoman powder flask that I own. Its missing the top piece and there are som loss to the decoration. Despite the faults I really like this flask, someone put a lot of work and effort into making it.

Kubur 21st June 2016 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look I have the little sister...
But your is much better... Congratulations!

Kubur 14th August 2016 07:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just for our database (not mine, just sold recently)
Primer flask, South Arabian, Yemen