Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My collection of Philippine gunong (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5732)

Ferguson 3rd March 2011 09:13 AM

Thanks Pepperskull. It's a relatively new piece, maybe 1970s? The style is different from all my others, and very unique. I'll try to get a picture tonight.
Steve

Battara 4th March 2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
Do the ones with the large ring on the hilt hail from any specific area ?

Like Jose's silver example .. :)

So far I have not found any indication of region based on this. However, I look instead at the okir work to tell if it is Maranao/Maguindanao or Sulu.

Also if the silver is fused/overlaid/plated onto copper, then it is probably Maranao/Maguindanao.

All of this works more for those made before WWII. After WWII it is very difficult to determine region.

Rick 4th March 2011 04:15 PM

Thanks Jose,
I asked 'cause I have silver ferrule rings like that on a spear .

Battara 4th March 2011 04:44 PM

The spears are a different type of critter. Bulbs mean something different on those.

Ferguson 13th March 2011 05:03 PM

ThePepperSkull,
Sorry, I forgot about the pictures you asked for. Here you go. Not traditional work, but beautiful in it's own right. It was a gift from a good friend.
Steve

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ed-overall.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...arved-hilt.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...d-scabbard.jpg

Ferguson 1st January 2015 05:48 PM

25 pounds of Gunong

1 Attachment(s)
OK. I think I have enough. (Unless I see something really special ) :)
Happy New Year everyone.

Steve

CharlesS 1st January 2015 06:23 PM

Awesome collection Steve! Your examples are never just average and always flawless. You have a good eye and terrific tastes in gunong!

Ferguson 1st January 2015 06:47 PM

Thanks Charles. I have a couple of stinkers that I bought before I learned. They aren't in the picture. ;)

Steve

Sajen 1st January 2015 08:42 PM

Great collection Steve! :)

Regards,
Detlef

Spunjer 1st January 2015 08:49 PM

Like!

Robert 2nd January 2015 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Absolutely amazing collection Steve.

Best,
Robert

Berkley 2nd January 2015 06:23 AM

Happy New Year, Steve.
Thanks for sharing your fabulous collection.
Berk

David R 6th January 2015 07:01 PM

A wonderful collection, which has me wanting an example of this type in my own collection.

Rafngard 24th March 2016 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, Tito gunong!

I'm curious about one of the gunong you have here, as it looks similar to one I just purchased.

I've cropped your last pic to include just the one I'm curious about. Do you happen to have any more pictures of that one?

Thanks,
Leif

harrywagner 24th March 2016 10:18 PM

Wow.

Holy smokes! Absolutely beautiful, and fun to see together, like a big happy family. Thanks for sharing these.

Sajen 25th March 2016 03:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafngard
I'm curious about one of the gunong you have here, as it looks similar to one I just purchased.

Hello Leif,

I really like this "sort" of gunongs, also when they litterally not antique, to the currently understanding they are from the time frame of the 30th until 40th from the last century, still for use and wear. The bulgy section of the ferrule section is worked from alternating plates, materials are aluminium, black horn, white horn, coloured white horn and probable early plastics like bakelite.
Here are pictures of: my example, a bigger picture of Tito Gunong's example and of one with MOP pommel which went once by ebay for big money.

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 25th March 2016 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Leif,

think you have bought this nice example. :) ;)

Rafngard 25th March 2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Leif,

think you have bought this nice example. :) ;)

Haha! Yes, that is it. You must have been the other bidder.
I'm hoping to get some pictures this weekend of this one, and another gunong I recently purchased.

And thank you very much for these pics. I had thought that 30s - 40s was about right. I am a bit surprised at how massive it is though!

Thanks,
Leif

Rafngard 25th March 2016 05:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Also, for size comparison, here's a couple of photos of the new one with my small gunong family.

Have fun,
Leif

Sajen 25th March 2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

Haha! Yes, that is it. You must have been the other bidder.

No, I wasn't. I was waiting that the seller go down with it's price but think that the time is gone to get one like your example cheaper as the price you paid. :shrug:

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 25th March 2016 05:55 PM

Quote:

Also, for size comparison, here's a couple of photos of the new one with my small gunong family.

Nice small collection! :) Like most the "new" one and the one with the elongated pommel, a very early example. :cool:

Rafngard 25th March 2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Nice small collection! :) Like most the "new" one and the one with the elongated pommel, a very early example. :cool:

The old one is previously posted here. On that one, you were the other bidder ;-)

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20261

Have fun,
Leif

Spunjer 25th March 2016 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...more gunongs for reference ;)

Sajen 25th March 2016 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer
...more gunongs for reference ;)

:eek: :eek: :cool:

Hello Ron,

can we see the blades?

Regards,
Detlef

Spunjer 26th March 2016 01:52 AM

7 Attachment(s)
sorry, it's not in order

Spunjer 26th March 2016 01:55 AM

7 Attachment(s)
second set

Spunjer 26th March 2016 01:57 AM

6 Attachment(s)
final set

Sajen 26th March 2016 02:02 PM

Thank you very much Ron! :)

May I ask how long are the tiny ones in down? I have one like this byself, good worked blade but I think that it is a pure souvenir item. What do you think byself?

Regards,
Detlef

harrywagner 26th March 2016 02:37 PM

Thanks for sharing these Ron! You have an amazing collection. I think we can all agree that Gunongs are addictive. :)

I love seeing them all together like this. Robert Hales has a similar display of Kindjals in the preface to "Islamic and Oriental Arms and Armour...". Both your's and Steve's "family reunion" photos would have been good additions to that page. Thanks again. Fabulous knives.

Sajen 26th March 2016 03:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Don't want withhold my humble collection. ;) :rolleyes: :D

Battara 26th March 2016 04:09 PM

Ron thanks for the close ups.

Both of you rival "Tito Gunong"'s collection (Steve Ferguson)!

Should we call 3 of you the "Gunong Brothers"? "Gunong Grupies"?

(ok I'll stop now.......... :D )

Sajen 26th March 2016 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I have one like this byself, good worked blade but I think that it is a pure souvenir item.

I was speaking about the left example, 17 cm (6.7") long with a blade lenght from 10 cm (3.9"). I think that your four small examples of similar slimness.

Regards,
Detlef

Spunjer 26th March 2016 07:46 PM

thanks. the small ones are rather small... i agree with you that they are more of a souvenir than anything else. they're so small that it's hard to grasp the handle properly. as for their sizes (from largest to smallest):
7 1/4" overall, 4 1/2" blade
6 1/2" overall, 4 1/2" blade
5 1/2" overall, 3 1/2" blade

Sajen 26th March 2016 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer
thanks. the small ones are rather small... i agree with you that they are more of a souvenir than anything else. they're so small that it's hard to grasp the handle properly. as for their sizes (from largest to smallest):
7 1/4" overall, 4 1/2" blade
6 1/2" overall, 4 1/2" blade

Hello Ron,

yes, they are similar small. Only a very small hand can grasp them properly.

Regards,
Detlef