Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th October 2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Iliad

Default Large Keris

Greetings,
Thanks to all who have contributed their expert opinions. I am quite happy to accept that the Keris is of souvenir quality, as I did not pay much for it. But, it looks great as a display piece!
Best,
Brian
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 02:54 PM   #2
GIO

My personal opinion:
clean the blade and, if possible, etch it. A real pamor may appear.
Throw away hilt and scabbard. You will easily find a better hilt, but not a scabbard, also due to the size of the blade.
The mendak (better "UWER" - thanks for correcting me, Jean) is good.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 04:43 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I AGREE THE BLADE APPEARS TO BE OLDER THAN THE FITTINGS AND THE FAKE PARMOR ADDS NOTHING TO THE KERIS SO REMOVING IT WOULD BE GOOD. THE SCABBARD AND HANDLE ARE FAIRLY GOOD EXAMPLES OF BALI WOOD CARVING AND THE STYLE HAS BEEN AROUND IN BALI FOR AT LEAST AS FAR BACK AS THE MID 1960'S PERHAPS LONGER. THE STYLE OF FULLY CARVING UNDOUTABLY WILL LOOK UGLY TO THOSE WHO LIKE THE MORE UNADORNED FITTINGS ON KERIS FROM BALI AND ELSEWHERE.
I DO NOT KNOW IF SUCH SCABBARDS AND HANDLES ARE USED BY LOCALS IN BALI OR IF THEY ARE STRICTLY FOR TOURISTS ONLY BUT THEY DO LOOK COOL TO ME.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 04:47 PM   #4
T. Koch

Never knew that the backside of these wrangkas were carved with such nice motives.

Thanks for sharing!
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 07:40 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIO
My personal opinion:
clean the blade and, if possible, etch it. A real pamor may appear.
Throw away hilt and scabbard. You will easily find a better hilt, but not a scabbard, also due to the size of the blade.
The mendak (better "UWER" - thanks for correcting me, Jean) is good.
GIO, while you are most certainly welcome to your personal opinion you may want to consider putting this into Brian's perspective. He is a general collector of weapons who only very casually collects the occassinal keris. He paid very little for this particular example. I doubt he is looking to spend much more to create an "ideal" example of a Bali keris. Given the quality of the blade itself it also wouldn't make sense even to me as someone who specializes in the collection of keris to throw much money at redressing such a blade when it has serviceable dress already. Your suggestion that he throw away the hilt and sheath seems a bit extreme to me. Cleaning and restraining the blade certainly seems worth the effort to return some dignity to this keris, but i am in agreement with Alan that even this apparently touristy style of dress has a place in a well rounded collection. This particular one is actually of better carving than most that i see of this type on the market. I am still left unsure of the origins of this particular dress type and don't know if it was ever acceptable for indigenous ethnographic usage, but as VANDOO points out it is a style that has been in existence for at least 50 years. To properly redress this blade would cost hundreds of dollars and Brian seems happy with the look of the ensemble as a display piece so i can't see why he would want to spend more money than he paid for the thing redressing it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Sajen

First, I am in absolute agreement with David regarding redressing the blade in question.

While we still discuss this keris I have bought a keris in a similar dress/sarung in a little bit better form and with a good blade IMHO. See here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Kris...vip=true&rt=nc
By this I have the same question like David (who as well own a keris in a similar sarung): Was a keris in such a sarung ever acceptable for Bali people to wear it? Or was it only a way to sell a single blade, equal which quality, to tourists?
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 10:06 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

I have often seen halfway decent blades fitted into this type of dress. This may well be a way to cheaply sheath a naked blade in order to sell it. I do, however, have a variation on this sheath form which seems to clearly have been made for the blade, not simply refitted. So the question remains...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 01:13 AM   #8
Iliad

David,
Thank you for your helpful and encouraging words.
You are correct in describing me as a general collector of weapons. Here in New Zealand I would be described as a "Magpie" collector. A Magpie is a bird which compulsively collects bright and shiny objects and takes them back to the nest. They can't be eaten, so are of no practical use to the bird, so I guess that he just looks at them with bird pleasure!
Could any other forum members be described as "Magpies"?
Best,
Brian
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 09:29 AM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Regarding use of this style of dress by Balinese people.

This is a non-traditional style of wrongko that does not fit any purpose in Balinese society --- except to sell to foreigners. There is a Balinese style, that is usually associated with a Balinese settlement in Madura, that echoes this scabbard style, it has a metal mask of Boma on its face.

With the early ones that were made, and through to the 1970's, maybe even early 1980's, old blades very often had this style of dress made for them, simply so they could be sold in the souvenir shops. It was not a re-fit job, not a matter of making the scabbard and then fitting a blade, it was a process of:- acquire blade, make dress, sell to tourist.

The uwer on this keris will be found to have plastic "jewels". It looks OK, but the "jewels" will be little bits of plastic.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Cleaning and restaining the blade certainly seems worth the effort to return some dignity to this keris, but i am in agreement with Alan that even this apparently touristy style of dress has a place in a well rounded collection. This particular one is actually of better carving than most that i see of this type on the market. I am still left unsure of the origins of this particular dress type and don't know if it was ever acceptable for indigenous ethnographic usage, but as VANDOO points out it is a style that has been in existence for at least 50 years.
Just for reference, this is what Mr David Van Duuren thinks about this style of scabbard.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Henk

A lot of opinions here. I also agree completely with David. I would keep this keris as it is. If possible a proper stain of the blade to get the real pamor out otherwise i would leave it as it is.

When i was a youngster and put my first steps on collecting, i used to visit my neighbours of indonesian origin. They had such a keris on the wall. It was more in the style of the keris Detleff showed us. But i still remember that the backside of the scabbard was carved as well. I had the honor to handle this keris a few times. Probably because of my admiration of this keris. But this family believed also in the power of this keris. They where convinced this keris had a spirit and also made rituals to the keris. I also do remember that the Mrs told me that a friend of the family offered her a big amount of money for the keris. She didn't sell it because it was her family's heirloom.

So what is tourist?

Now i also have such a keris in my collection with a good balinese blade. In my opinion when the carving isn't done too sloppy such a keris fits well in a collection.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 11:44 AM   #12
GIO

My proposal was not to spend much money: a decent Cecekahan or Bebondolan hilt is currently sold on ebay for about $ 50.00, and cleaning the blade with pineapple or lemon juce would bring out the pamor at practically no cost.
This said, I respect everybody's opinion and leave to the owner to make what he consider better for him. Now he has all information to decide.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote