31st December 2023, 02:25 PM | #1 |
|
Ear-Dagger ???
Hello and with respect I have this ear dagger in my collection for a time but I want to know if it is authentic and in what period is made and what country. It have the letters R and A on a side and on the other a curios thing is the sator cube. Thank you for you’re reponse
|
31st December 2023, 10:03 PM | #2 |
|
i’m not an expert on this, but…
it looks like it has some wear on the handle. it might very well be old. If it is, it’s rare.
|
1st January 2024, 12:48 AM | #3 |
|
I'm seeing OK artistry, but I am not seeing a level of skill, materials, and execution for the type to consider this of the Moorish period though.
I feel at best circa 1900, at worst 1960s onwards. |
3rd January 2024, 02:17 PM | #4 |
|
OP has shown us a number of pieces lately, this, like the supposed " execution sword " , leaves me highly unconvinced.
The execution sword is embellished with a latin motto and this one has the so called " Sator Square" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sator_Square an overly famous (I have one at home in a modern depiction) symbolic sign bearing the text SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA ROTAS, that can be read in many ways. Although this symbolic " magic square" appears for centuries everywhere I don't see why it would appear on a dagger and the entire thing leaves me with the impression that the whole dagger ( or rather a Knife) has been cobbled together to deceive and look more impressive than what it is. This is a modern piece in my opinion, made to be appealing and lure a possible buyer. several threads recently started by this new member have been closed . Almost all show pieces more or less crudely made which seem to be all " mysterious". He may have a great talent to find the odd and Mysterious or there is something else going on |
3rd January 2024, 05:23 PM | #5 |
|
This piece, like all the others I've checked that the OP has posted, is currently on sale on a Romanian ebay clone. All the pieces are being sold by the same vendor, presumably the OP.
|
|
|