Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th August 2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Svetoslav

Default Yataghan inscription translation request

Hi everyone,
I have this yataghan and was wondering if anyone can help me translate the inscription. The craftsmanship of the inscription isn't all that great but if anyone can read it and translate the writing i would be very grateful. The yataghan is from Bulgaria and I believe the writing is Ottoman but not sure.
Attached are pictures of each word/section of the writing.

Thanks
Svetoslav
Attached Images

Svetoslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 12:16 PM   #2
AJ1356

The inscriptions are upside down, I could only male the year which read 1213 that is about 219 years ago.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Svetoslav

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1356
The inscriptions are upside down, I could only male the year which read 1213 that is about 219 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Below are picture with the proper orientation
Attached Images

Old 27th August 2011, 01:49 PM   #4
AJ1356

The bad thing is that the Turks moved from Arabic alphabet to Latin. And most probably can't read Ottoman texts. That leave reading these specially here to a few Arabs and a Persian speaker (me). And none of us as far as i know speak Turkish. So from what I can make out, First picture right side is the year, It is actually more like 205-210 years old, since those are Lunar years and Lunar years and about 10 days shorter than a Solar year. Next to it is the name of the owner it read Saaheb d d ah Haaj Mohammad Aagha, the D D ah part is uninteligable I can not make anything out of it, Haaj mean someone who had done the Hajj pilgramage, and Mohammad Aagha is the person's name. All the text is missing dots,( چ ح if you can see the dots, the one on the right is the sound of H and with 3 dots it is the sound of CH like China) and without dots it is really hard to make sense of what is written, If i ever make sense of it then I'll let you know. Beautiful peice by the way.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 06:58 PM   #5
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1356
The bad thing is that the Turks moved from Arabic alphabet to Latin. And most probably can't read Ottoman texts. That leave reading these specially here to a few Arabs and a Persian speaker (me).
Actually, we have a gentleman by the nickname of Zifir from Istanbul, who has been very kind to translate many inscriptions on yataghans and other Ottoman blades in the past. Hopefully, he will also see the thread and respond.
Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Zifir

Hi,
Sorry for responding late to this thread, I wasn't following the forum for a while.

If I can contribute to AJ1356's transliteration,

Sene 1213 Sahib Hac Dede Muhammed Ağa
Yemliha, Mekselina, Mislina, Mernuş, Debernuş, Şazenuş, Kefeştatayuş, Kıtmir

Translation:
Year 1798/1799 Owner Hac (Pilgrim) Dede (this is a title often used by Bektashi dervishes/it means grandfather in turkish) Muhammed Ağa
Second line is the names of the Seven Sleepers and their dog - which is one of the most common inscriptions seen on yatağans.

Best,
Zifir
Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 05:52 AM   #7
Svetoslav

Default Thanks

Hey everyone,
Thank you all for your help i really appreciate all your efforts.
Best,
Svetoslav