Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th August 2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Tim Simmons

Question Mandau info please?

I have recently obtained two Mandau . Both nice examples late 19th or early 20th century. I am unable to provide pics right now. One with a wood handle carved as a spirit with leeches the other carved antler with just leech images. The antler handle has lost nearly all the brass wire around the grip. I want to restore this as it will also cover a nasty recent crack in the handle.
The brass wire is 0.5mm I will need at least 10m to twist up. I am finding it hard to get this gauge of wire in such a small length. Suppliers have minimum orders making it all rather costly. Believe it or not it will be cheaper and easier for me to replace the brass wire with silver.

What I want to know from seasoned Mandau collectors, would that be okay? has anybody seen silver in any form on a Mandau? Thank you if you can help. Pics when I get my PC back.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Bill M

I have a mandau with a silver ferrule, but, I think this is unusual.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Henk

Although unusual, silver wire is ok in my opinion. As far as I can recall I do remember that I saw silver or metal wire on a mandau. A ferrule like Bill showed us is uncommon indeed, but it looks great. Another possibility is rattan wire.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
Although unusual, silver wire is ok in my opinion. As far as I can recall I do remember that I saw silver or metal wire on a mandau. A ferrule like Bill showed us is uncommon indeed, but it looks great. Another possibility is rattan wire.
Henk I agree, Silver wire is also ok in my opinion. I once had one with silver or a silver alloy braided wire on a mandauhilt. See picture attached.
I still have one with iron braided wire which I know is iron because it is very rusty. The one I had on the pic didn't show any rust at all.
Attached Images

Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 03:48 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Does the use of a silver ferrule, especially chased silver like Bill's signify a datu/chieftain's piece?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Dajak

Silver in mostly found in the melanau area like Bills one

The repair is better to do with old style Brass I would better leave it the way it is .

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 12:26 PM   #7
asomotif

Quote:
The brass wire is 0.5mm I will need at least 10m to twist up
I have a few shops where brass wire can be bought.
Enclosed handle was 'restored' with it.
Let me know if you need some wire, I can check for you which sizes they have.
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Tim Simmons

Thanks for the help and advise every body.
The orginal brass was of two wires just simply twisted together. I have chosen silver as I believe if the orginal weapon maker had come across some silver wire in the past they would probably not shy away from using it. I have already replaced the shellac formed around the forte end of the handle. The comercial shellac I have is a brown colour which when heated I added powdered charcoal to get the usual black colour, the charcoal also makes the shellac far less brittle. I have 40' of silver wire arriving today so I will have it finished soon. I will post pictures as soon as possible. Not to worry when I have finished the silver wire will look old, and anyway repairs would have been made in the past.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote