Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2005, 03:13 PM   #1
Conogre

Default Television and Ethnographic Weaponry

With the fairly recent surge in educational TV there are now more and more channels on which you're liable to encounter a good program about a specific weapon and/or culture as well as the answer to various questions that have been posed here on the forum over the past few years.
On the History International Channel yesterday there aired a program that seems to have finally solved the old question of how so many different cultures evolved independent mythologies that ended up tied to or incorporated into weapons, such as dragons in pommels, chappes, etc.
Simply put, as far back as 7,000 years ago various peoples were realizing that fossils were skeletons and, not having had the benefit of Mr. Darwin's insights, these were thought to be the skeletons of Gods and beasts from the past.....the example the Griphon in Persian, and later, Greek mythology was used, for example and was traced back to the same Protoceratops that made Roy Chapman Andrews a famous paleontologist in the 1920's.
It seems gold was often found having collected in the fossil nest sites, leaving the conclusion that these were eagle headed lions who lined their nests with the precious metals, a la the gryphon, while more reptilian fossils were, of course, dragons!
It was even suggested that the same may have been responsible for various Egyptian gods with animal heads, feathered serpents in S. America and such, with known fossil sites corresponding quite well with correlated mythologies and when viewed in that context it makes a tremendous amount of sense.
While this is slightly off kilter from normal threads I thought I'd pass it on as the program started out showing various hilts and pommels of Greek swords found in preserved frescos.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Ann Feuerbach

I saw that show too...very interesting. I had the opposite experience when I watched a very good film called the Empire of Islam, except that they used the same style swords from the 6th -16th century. AKK!
Ann Feuerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2005, 08:44 AM   #3
Conogre

I understand that one too, Ann.
The problem I've now found myself encountering is missing out on the plot by getting too involved with trying to see how authentic the weaonry is.
I've also found myself watching more and more movies from developing countries just because authentic bladed weaponry is often used in lieu of "props" for the simple reason that they are often readily available and come free with the extras!
Talk about a challenge...reading the subtitles and watching the knives, swords and spears all at the same time!
Mike
Old 16th March 2005, 03:04 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Have either of you watched The Ring Of Fire documentary ?
Lots and lots of EEW's shown and used during the film .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2005, 06:28 PM   #5
Ann Feuerbach

If anyone is interested and in the UK, tonight on the BBC 2 at 8:00 on What the Ancients did for us,, they will have a segment on wootz. Although I am on it, I have not seen the finished version "scary". Take what I say with a grain of salt. It is TV after all and they wanted me to build and fire a crucible steel furnace in 1 day If you see it do not forget TV cameras add 50 pounds to people!
Ann
Ann Feuerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2005, 08:09 PM   #6
Conogre

Ann, you just made me spit iced tea all over my keyboard!!!
I've seen our fearless leader on at least one program concerning medievil swords as well.....if I record your appearance, I solemnly promise not to edit it even more than the programmers did!
Speaking of ethnographic weaponry and television, I've also recently seen some very well done programs on little known African tribes on the Travel Channel of all places, including weapons, "duels" and shield/ club fighting tournements and,of course, the requisite male/female coming of age initiations (ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch! )
The History International Channel has also been airing a series about the weapons and armor of ancient England and it's foes.
For once I have to admit to being truly and sincerely impressed with the growth of educational television.
Mike