Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th March 2005, 10:53 PM   #1
Conogre

Default Origin of a knife / dagger?

I ran accross this piece listed as an African dagger and find it somewhat interesting:
Edited : (active auction)
I've discussed it with the seller and she's every bit as curious about as I am and gave her full consent to see if anything further could be ascertained about it......my thoughts are that it has a Spanish feel to it, but as this isn't my area of expertise, I may well be wrong.
Since open auctions are a sensitive area, my bid is locked in and more than satifactory to her, and if I get outbid, I can live with it, no hard feelings (I thought I'd toss that in and save agonizing about ethics in advance)
Mike

Last edited by Rick; 5th March 2005 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Active auction
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I'm sorry Mike , we've got a no active auction policy .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Conogre

Sorry....I misunderstood the restrictions, apparently. **blush**
Mike
Old 5th March 2005, 09:27 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

No problem , it's open for discussion after it closes .. or you could borrow a picture or two from 'em .
Old 6th March 2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Conogre

Thanks Rich!!!!
Duh!!!!
I thought I had covered all the bases in regards to liability and such, including getting permission to use the photos, but since I've been back I've not seen JUST the photos listed...lesson learned, and again, thank you...it truly wasn't my intention to break rules.
The knife PICTURED **grin** is about 12" long with a brass and dark hardwood hilt, and a double edged very pointed blade.
It's now in the hands of the third generation, with the grandfather having said that it came from Africa.
With words like "creepy" involved, I'm certain that there's a certain amount of predjudice against it with more than a percieved air of bloodletting involved by the fairer sex.
Mike
Attached Images

Old 6th March 2005, 06:23 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Not a problem Mike , really !

I think the piece looks Philippine .
The peened tang and washer is a Philippine touch .
The pommel is unusual though .
Almost looks like a recycled spear blade .
Old 6th March 2005, 06:42 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

If it is PI, it has a strong Spanish flair. It could also be Mediterranean coast of Spain.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 08:48 PM   #8
Conogre

I don't recall seeing to mqny dagger style pieces out of the Philippines that had heavily hand cast bronze hilts, at least the northern islands, and it seems uncharacteristic for the southern.
I do see your point about the peened over tang though and it's hard to tell juust from the photo.
It was one of those that I passed up, came back too, passed up....you know how it goes. **grin**
Thanks for the thoughts though, and I'm still curious, which is somewhat nice as it keeps you digging and digging rather than just tossing it aside and forgetting it....it does me, anyways.
Mike
Old 6th March 2005, 11:34 PM   #9
Federico

If this piece is Philippine, I would guess that it would have to be an Illustrado/Katipunan knife. The quality, and European flare are very common in this era with these people, and most of them had the money to blow on such pieces. Though the casting makes me wonder about a PI origin. Stuff during the Katipunan era would have brazed bands. Like Battara, I would not be surprised with a Spanish or other Meditteranean origin.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote