Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th December 2011, 09:21 PM   #1
TVV

Default 3 African Swords for ID & Comment

I am looking to learn more about the following three swords.
The first one is obviously a Mandingo sabre with a sheath in poor shape. Per the seller, it was collected in Guineia in The single edged blade looks straight, but it is very slightly curved. To me it looks to be of European origins. There are some markings barely visible on one side, does anyone recognize any meaning to them?
The second sword is usually described as Guduf from the Cameroon highlands. Per the seller, it was collected in Cameroon close to the border with CAR by missionaries, whod escribed it as a Mbororo Fulbe sword. If true, would that mean that this type of sword is the original Fulani sword prior to the takouba?
And finally, there is this short sword which I cannot ID at all. The seller had it described as Tikar.
Thank you,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 08:11 AM   #2
ericlaude

Arrow

Your third sword is original of Bali and Wum tribes of north Cameroon.
ericlaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Iain

First blade does indeed look European. Afraid I can't make out much on the blade marks, but I gather most of these are recycled European sabers or other military swords.

Second is Guduf I personally would not consider it a Fulani sword. There are a lot of small ethnic groups in the region and the missionaries could quite easily have been sold the piece by a Fulani? The reference as I recall for Guduf is from Wente-Lukas and the type is pretty distinctive. I am attaching an image of my own example which seems to have some age. I gather these are or were, still made fairly recently I imagine for dance and other ritual functions. The question of course of what the Fulani used before the takouba is a great one, another forumite had some potential answers in this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14500

Last, I think Eric is absolutely correct.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 05:45 PM   #4
TVV

Eric and Iain, thank you very much!
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote