Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th January 2006, 09:03 PM   #1
Flavio

Question A question about a Keris

Hi all. I have just got this keris from a swap with a very respectable member of this forum. This is my first keris and i like it very much.
Now, the keris doesn't show rust but the blade is quite opaque. I have already read other threads on how to clean keris (also in old forum), but now i want to ask you if is it so wrong to use iron wool on keris with oil (like i usually use on african weapons). The first two pics show the blade of my keris, the others show how i'd like that my blade was (the third and the fourth one are taken from another thread and is a Lew's keris {sorry Lew }). Thank you
Attached Images

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2006, 09:23 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Flavio

I use #0000 steel wool to remove any loose rust.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2006, 10:30 PM   #3
Flavio

Arrow

Ah, thank you very much Lew, i will use steel wool n. 0000 and than i will post some pictures. Thanks again
Old 30th January 2006, 10:52 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Flavio

I see you to have been bitten by the keris bug. One cannot live by African blades alone

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2006, 11:04 PM   #5
Flavio

Arrow

Lew,

you know eat always meat is not so good you must change sometimes
Old 31st January 2006, 12:25 AM   #6
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio
Hi all. I have just got this keris from a swap with a very respectable member of this forum. This is my first keris and i like it very much.
Now, the keris doesn't show rust but the blade is quite opaque. I have already read other threads on how to clean keris (also in old forum), but now i want to ask you if is it so wrong to use iron wool on keris with oil (like i usually use on african weapons). The first two pics show the blade of my keris, the others show how i'd like that my blade was (the third and the fourth one are taken from another thread and is a Lew's keris {sorry Lew }). Thank you
Poor, poor Flavio, there is no going back now. You are a kerisoholic!
About this keris and how you would like to see it. I think it is very important that you understand that the 3rd and 4th examples (and possible the 5th and 6th as well) are Balinese keris while yours appears to be of the Javanese variety. The smooth finish on the Balinese keris is tradition to keris from this island, but it is NOT presently the style of finish on Javanese blades which generally have a deeper etch with a rougher finish. So i wouldn't think to much about trying to make you Jawa keris look like Lew's Bali Keris.
That being said, i agree with Lew that a #0000 steel wool is not likely to do damage to your keris and may help loosen some dirt and rust from it. You might also try soaking it in pineapple juice for a few days with a frequent brushing over with a toothbrush.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2006, 02:44 AM   #7
Mans

Quote:
Hi,

Nice keris, Flavio. Congrat. !
To remove the rust and clean the keris, you can use the Coconut water. Get the ripe coconut. Put your keris into coconut water then waiting for 1-2 days. It can take 3-4 days too, dependt with the rust which patched at the blade. Cleaning the blade with shoap every 6 hours.The rust will remove and you will get the pamor pattern.
Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2006, 04:59 PM   #8
Flavio

Arrow

Hello nechesh, thank you for your informations. Anyway i like keris but my heart is 95% still with my african weapons !!!! This doesn't mean that my collection of keris will not grow (i like also the philippine kris, but still I haven't one ).
Hello Mans thank you also to you. This time i will try with steel wool, but for my next keris i will use cocount water.
After the cleaning i will post some pictures. Thank you

Last edited by Flavio; 31st January 2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 31st January 2006, 11:38 PM   #9
nechesh

Flavio, what the coconut water and the pineapple juice will do that the stell wool never can is to actually etch your keris to help bring out the pamor pattern. Then, if you are adventurous, you can try applying arsenic and lime juice to darken the iron further and allow the pamor material to really stand out. None of that is capable with steel wool, which will merely help to remove some of the dirt.
Old 1st February 2006, 12:40 AM   #10
Flavio

Arrow

Nechesh, to tell you the truth i don't want to risk my life with arsenic or some other poisons. I think that the steel wool is quite good, maybe i'll try with the pineapple juice that is more safe
Old 1st February 2006, 12:46 PM   #11
Flavio

Arrow

This is the keris cleaning.
Well, I have studied a little, tell me if i'm right or completely wrong

Dapur: Carita (11 luk)
Urikan: Solo Yudo Winatan
Gayaman: Yava solo
Pendok: Lewehan or Slorok (Yogya)
Pamor: (maybe) Kulit Semangka

So the keris would have to be Javanese (as necheshalready told me).
Sorry if i wrote some stupid things.
Attached Images

Last edited by Flavio; 1st February 2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 3rd February 2006, 04:32 PM   #12
Flavio

Arrow

Quote:
Sorry if i wrote some stupid things.

Ahiaiai, I say so many stupid things? Could someone indicate me a good book on keris? Thank you
Old 4th February 2006, 04:10 AM   #13
nechesh

Flavio, i certainly repect you choice not to get involved with the use of substances like arsenic, but just for the record, with a little bit of common sense ( i.e. DON'T PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH! ) the use of arsenic in the process of keris staining is hardly life threatening.
That being said here's a comprehensive list of suggested reading off Alan Maisey's website. Most of this stuff is still accessible with a bit of searching.

Keris and Keris Related Reading

1. The World of the Javanese Keris-Garrett and Bronwen Solyom,East-West
Centre-Hawaii,1978
2. A Glossary of the Construction,Decoration ,and Use of Arms and Armour-George Cameron
Stone .(Several editions.The standard reference on Eastern Edged Weaponry).AKA-"Stones
Glossary"
3. The Keris and Other Malay Weapons-A.H.Hill,Journal of the Malay Branch of the Royal
Asiatic
Society,Vol.XX Part II,1947.
4. The Kris-E.Frey,Oxford University Press,Singapore.
5. Keris-Drs.Hamzuri,P.T. Midas Surya Grafindo-Jakarta,1984.
6. Keris and Other Weapons of Indonesia-Moebirman,Yayasan Pelita Wisata,Jakarta,1973.
7. Kris the Invincible(Kris Gli Invincibili)-Vanna e Mario Ghiringheli,Be-Ma Editrice,Milano
8. 'An Introduction to the Javanese Keris'-Hardiono H.B.(article)
Published in "Arts of Asia",Vol.9,No.3 May-June 1979
1309 Kowloon Centre,29-30 Ashley Road,Kowloon H.K.
9. 'The Great Blades of Java'-A.Maisey (article)
Published in "Knives '90"
DBI Books Inc. Northfield,Illinois
10. 'Origin of the Keris and its Development to the 14th. Century'-A.Maisey(article)
Published in "Arms Cavalcade"-The Official Journal of the Antique Arms Collectors Society of
Australia ,Vol.I,No.2, April 1998.
11. The Keris and the Naga-A.G.Maisey(article)
Published in "Arms Cavalcade"-The Official Journal of the Antique Arms Collectors Society of
Australia,Vol.I,No.3,December 2000.
12. De Kris-Magic Relic of Old Indonesia-Vols.I,II and III Ing. G.J.F.J. Tammens.Holland,
1992/1993/1994.Parallel text in English and Dutch.
13. The Kris-An Earthly Approach to a Cosmic Symbol-David van Duuren.Pictures Publishers
Polstraat 52,4261 BV,Wijk en Aalburg,Holland.
I highly recommend this book.
14. Krisses-A critical Bibliography-David van Duuren.Pictures Publishers,Polstraat 52,4261
BV,Wijk
en Aalburg,Holland.I highly recommend this book.
15. The Keris in the Magic World View-Martin Kerner
A4,62p.,ill. black/white.ISBN 3-9520980-2-7,1999
16. Origin of Early Kerises-Martin Kerner
A4,152p.,50 ill.in black/white,ISBN 3-9520980-9-4
17. Ensiklopedi Keris- Bambang Harsrinuksmo, Gramedia- Jakarta, ISBN:
979-22-0649-3.Text in Indonesian.

Cultural and Historical Background.

18. Visible and Invisible Realms-Margaret J.Wiener
ISBN 0-226-88582-8/1,The University of Chicago Press
This book is essential reading for anybody who wishes to come to an understanding of the keris.
perhaps the single most important work on this page.
19. Island of Bali-Miguel Covarrubias,Oxford University Press,many editions,first published
20. The Indianized States of Southeast Asia-G.Coedès.East-West Centre Press,Hawaii,1968.
21. Nusantara,AHistory of Indonesia-Bernard H.M.Vlekke,English edition-W.van Hoeve Ltd.
22. On the Javanese Keris-W.H.Rassers,published in Bijdragen,99,1940.There is also an
English edition
23. Sekala and Niskala -Fred B. Eisman,jr.,ISBN 0-945971-03-6,Periplus Editions,First
Edition 1990.
24. Malay Magic-Walter W.Skeat.First pub.1900,2nd.Ed.Benjamin Blom Inc.,New York,1972.
Old 4th February 2006, 06:01 AM   #14
drdavid

Hi Flavio,
on the advice of Alan Maisey (source of the reading list in previous post) I am reading books 1 (The World of the Javanese Keris-Garrett and Bronwen Solyom) and 18 (Visible and Invisible Realms-Margaret J.Wiener) on the list. Both fascinating in quite different ways, both very valuable in the knowledge they convey. Recommended. Easy to track down too, I got second hand copy of Visible and Invisible Realms from Amazon for about $15 (and someone had already highlighted or underlined all the most important bits for me)
DrD
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 11:22 AM   #15
Flavio

Arrow

Hi drdavid and nechesh, thank you very much, for your help, i'll try to find some of these books because i'm very interested to learn much more about these weapons (i'd like very much to find Stone's Glossary), but please let me know also what do you think about the cleaning: it's good?
Old 4th February 2006, 07:06 PM   #16
rizramon

Hi guys, about the arsenic thing...where to find them?Tried to search at D.I.Y shop they don't know a thing.
rizramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2006, 09:07 AM   #17
simatua

Default hard to get but not impossible

Quote:
Hi guys, about the arsenic thing...where to find them?Tried to search at D.I.Y shop they don't know a thing.
Because its a poison its very hard to find indeed. You could try a different way: At a mineral / stones selling (saw it lately on ebay too): buy Realgar ; This(orange colored) Mineral stone contains arsenic. You have to pulverice it and make a mix with lemon juice.
Patience is needed, cause you 'll have to wait for about a month to let the arsenic kristalise with the lemon.
The mixture needs the sun as kathalysator; A nice sunny day.

...Always be carefull, only use outdoor, with protection of gloves and something for your mouth.
Attached Images

simatua is offline   Reply With Quote