Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th February 2009, 12:16 AM   #1
archer

Default Omani Jambiya & side knife

Hi, This came in today and I'd like to see if possible what the sheath of the knife should look like. both blades are a bit rough the knife has some coarse koftgari cross hatching but no inlays remaining. Thank you for your help.
Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Michael Blalock

Usually there is a leather sheath for the knife built into the back of the Khanjar scabbard.
Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 07:50 PM   #3
archer

Default Jambiya/khanjar

Thank you Michael, Does anyone have a photo that would help me replace the sheath?
Also, the cleaning process shows a lot of sharpening wear and distortion. It looks like this blade was never polished. Does the lack of finish indicate an inferior product?

Steve
Attached Images

Old 21st February 2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Steve

Steve,
I've attached a pic showing the arrangement of the small sheath for the knife behind the khanjar. It's generally a simple item sitting over the belt and often at a greater angle thne the pic shows. These usually come loose with use and the small knife is removed. This is the first pic I've posted so I hope it comes thru.
As far as your blade goes- it is common for these to be replaced at intervals. However the old better quality blades are more appreciated over the newer imported variety.

Steve
Attached Images

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 02:23 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Hi Steve,
Pics attached of an Omani Khanjar with back knife. Mounted at an angle, and laced on. The scabbard itself is very basic, being a folded piece of leather to suit shape of knife blade, laced along the bottom edge.
Also a pic of a back scabbard on a Meccan stle Khanjar. This one mounted (as found) so the back knife is totally hidden behind the Khanjar hilt. I have not seen what sort of knife would be correct for the Meccan type, BUT....the handle would have got in the way when drawing the Khanjar, if the scabbard was mounted like this!
You could probably make a scabbard in any form you like so long as it looks right. Don't forget these are "Tribal" items so most probably differed considerably.
Very nice Khanjar by the way. It has the Al bu Said hilt type.
Hope this helps.
Regards Stuart
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 09:34 PM   #6
archer

Default Thanks

Thank you both now I'll have to find some leather and make a sheath. Stuart I'm glad it's a basic leather working task.