Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th April 2007, 01:07 AM   #1
BBJW

Default Info on sword...Tibetan/Nepalese ??????

Can anyone give me some info on this one? This was picked up in Nepal about 30 years ago. Blade is 19 inches and appears to be laminated and is very sharp. Scabbard is leather over wood with low grade silver as shown.

Cheers
bbjw
Attached Images

BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 01:31 AM   #2
dennee

I wouldn't mind a closer look at the blade and hilt. Overall, it looks Bhutanese. The scabbard is typical Bhutanese as is the blunt shape of the blade tip. The hilt seems kinda crude, but I can't see it that well. It may be simply that the the typical chain/wire or rayskin grip cover has been removed as has a metal pommel cap (instead of the more characteristic pierced "gubor" pommel) and the typical reeded brass band at the base of the hilt, revealing the wood (reeded octagonal) beneath.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 02:03 AM   #3
BBJW

Default More photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennee
I wouldn't mind a closer look at the blade and hilt. Overall, it looks Bhutanese. The scabbard is typical Bhutanese as is the blunt shape of the blade tip. The hilt seems kinda crude, but I can't see it that well. It may be simply that the the typical chain/wire or rayskin grip cover has been removed as has a metal pommel cap (instead of the more characteristic pierced "gubor" pommel) and the typical reeded brass band at the base of the hilt, revealing the wood (reeded octagonal) beneath.

Hope these are better. How old do you think this is?

Thanx
bbjw
Attached Images

BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 02:47 AM   #4
dennee

The hilt might have looked something like the attached photo.

It's hard to date Bhutanese swords closely. From what I have read, it seems that that type of suspension of the scabbard (hung vertically from a belt just behind the right hip using a rawhide thong) was adopted about the last quarter of the eighteenth century, although wearing a sword thrust through the belt never completely disappeared. Of course, most extant swords would tend to be substantially later---just a factor of median date of production and durability over time. Traditional Bhutanese swords were apparently produced until about 50 years ago. A sword might be easier to date if it still had all its fittings; with the one pictured, the white metal cap suggests to me late nineteenth of early twentieth century. I would guess that most extant are from around that period.

By the way, I should have said "fluted octagonal" rather than reeded.
Attached Images

dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 03:08 AM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Definately Bhutanese notice the similarity in the hilt design.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote